Jump to navigation Jump to search
Note[edit | edit source]
- There are many ways to create and edit 3-D models for printing. This page describes just one way of doing it. Experimenting with other methods is encouraged.
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Install Cura from .
- Other free and open source software that is worth installing is OpenSCAD, FreeCAD and Blender. These will not be covered in these instructions, but both have a lot of documentation available on the web.
Cura[edit | edit source]
The program to convert an STL file into G-Code is called a slicer. There are several options available. Cura is one of them. The following is a basic Cura setup for AthenaII printer, but there are extensive options that should be explored.
- After downloading and installing, start Cura. It will show the First Start Wizard. If it doesn't, you can manually start the wizard by choosing Add new machine from Settings>Printer>Add Printer...
Printing[edit | edit source]
Loading the Filament[edit | edit source]
- Once the extruder drive stops, find the extrude text box where +500 was previously typed in and click in it. Press enter again and the filament should advance another 500 mm. Press the Page Up key and increment the extruder by 10mm until the motor makes a grinding sound. The filament is now loaded.
Slicing a File[edit | edit source]
- The first file to print will be an Upper Michigan key chain. Right click on the following link, and open in new tab: Upper Michigan Keychain. Once there, click on THING FILE and find the yooper_peninsulaa.stl file and click on it to begin the download. If a dialogue box opens, select "Save As".
- An "Open 3D Model" dialogue box opens. Navigate to where the file to print is saved (The Upper Michigan Keychain should be located in the downloads folder), and click "Open"
Starting a Print[edit | edit source]
- Using a gluestick, apply a thin layer of glue to the mirror that covers the whole mirror. See this video by rm2kdev for reference.
[edit | edit source]
|AthenaII Printed Parts Glossary|
|Assembling hot end|
|Soldering and tinning|
|Track 1||Track 2||Track 3|
|Connecting Rods||Frame||Epoxying Magnets|
|Epoxying Magnets||Connecting Rods||End Effector|
|Extruder Drive and Spool Holder||Epoxying Magnets||Frame|
|End Effector||Extruder Drive and Spool Holder||Connecting Rods|
|Frame||End Effector||Extruder Drive and Spool Holder|
|Final Mechanical Assembly|
|Before 2019||Starting 2019|
|Wiring/Melzi + BB||Wiring/Athena Board|
|Firmware and Calibration||Firmware and Calibration - (Wireless Setup) - (Update Franklin)|
|Software and First Print|