New book - 'Building a Better World in Your Backyard' - on Kickstarter (sponsored friend)
|This page is a "stub" - it needs more content.
You are invited to.
A water pump is any device for moving water. The water pump is one of the oldest and most widespread machines, and exists in an enormous variety of styles. The shaduf or shadoofW (bucket on counterweighted lever), a very primitive pump, is known to have existed since about 2000 BCE.
Some uses of water pumps include:
- Obtaining water from ground wells for drinking, cooking, and other purposes.
- Moving water in active solar heating systems.
Pumps may be powered by
- Human muscle power: hand-crank, foot-operated pedal power, reciprocating piston
- Animal power
- Mains electrical power, electric motor
- Battery power
- Solar-electric, photovoltaic collector powering electric motor
- On-site fuel-powered engine: diesel, gasoline; steam engine powered by coal, charcoal, or wood
- Wind power
- Water power: Ram pump, NoriaW
- Treadle pumps
- Rope pumps
- Hydraulic ram pumps
- Verticle Inline Pump
- Domestic Water Booster Pump Systems