|Part of||Engr535 Development Technology|
|Keywords||CCAT, CCAT active project, Refrigeration|
|License||CC BY-SA 4.0|
|Affiliations||Humboldt State University
Campus Center for Appropriate Technology (CCAT)
|Derivative of||CCAT sunfrost refrigerator|
|Translate to||Français, Español, Kiswahili, 中文, العربية, Русский, more|
|Export to||PDF, LaTeX, EPUB, ODT|
|Cite as Dominick Triola (2021). "CCAT sunfrost refrigerator/OM". Appropedia. Retrieved 2021-10-19.|
This is the Operation and Maintenance (O&M) manual for CCAT sunfrost refrigerator. Please refer to it and keep it up to date with any O&M changes.
The Sun Frost RF12 is a single compressor refrigerator freezer with a passive (no fans) cooling system. For convenience it is typically mounted on a 24" high cabinet. This model is a 110 Volt AC refrigerator.
Operation[edit | edit source]
- The thermostat should be set so that the refrigerator is between the range of 35°F - 44°F. When the refrigerator section is 38°F, the freezer section is 8°F. To locate the temperature control, open the freezer door and look up under the shroud.
- Avoid keeping the doors open if not needed in order to conserve energy.
- Do not place objects on top of the refrigerator. The condenser and compressor are on top of the refrigerator, and they require maximum air circulation for the refrigerator to function efficiently. They should have at least 6-8" of free air space around them.
- The refrigerator will work optimally if it is regularly maintained. Refer to the maintenance section for information on how to defrost, clean, and assess leaks in the system.
Maintenance[edit | edit source]
Regular maintenance will keep the refrigerator running at optimal efficiency. Follow the yearly schedule below, and clean the refrigerator as necessary.
Schedule[edit | edit source]
1. Check hinges and door seals to ensure door closes fully.
2. Defrost the freezer section if there is ice build-up
3. Clean the refrigerator and drain any water build-up
4. Drop a few drops of bleach into the drain and gutter of the refrigerator to prevent mold build-up.
Instructions[edit | edit source]
|Task||What To Do|
|Check door seal||*Check door seal and look for leaks of cold air.
|Defrost Freezer||*When the ice is 3/4" thick or greater it is time to defrost the freezer.
|Clean refrigerator||*Turn off the refrigerator and move food items to the coldbox or another refrigerator if there is one available.
|Mold Prevention||*Drop a few drops of bleach in the drain tube the gutter to prevent mold build-up.|
Troubleshooting[edit | edit source]
|Refrigerator and freezer are not cooling properly.||Avoid keeping the doors open if not needed. Check hinges and seals.|
|Fridge is leaking inside.||Make sure that the drain inside the refrigerator is not clogged or moldy.|
|Refrigerator and Freezer are too cold or not cold enough.||Make sure thermostat is set on 38 °F.|
Specifications[edit | edit source]
Manufacturer: Sun Frost
- Contact: Address: 824 L St., Arcata, CA 95521,
- Tel.: (707) 822-9095, Email: email@example.com
- Model: RF-12, 110 Volt AC (Color: White)
- Category: Refrigerator & Freezer
- Daily energy use (kWh): 0.29 kWh/per day @ 70°F, 0.47 kWh @ 90°F/per day, Energy Star® qualified
- Freezer: Height: 6.5, Width: 26, Depth: 21, Volume: 2.05 cf. (cubic feet)
- Refrigerator: Height: 24, Width: 28, Depth: 20.75, Volume: 8.07 cf. (cubic feet)
- Total volume: 2.05 cf. + 8.07 cf. = 10.02 cf. (cubic feet)
Exterior Dimensions: Height: 49.5, Width: 34.5, Depth: 27.75
Volume: 36 cf. (cubic feet)
Refrigeration: Single compressor, Refrigerant: R-12 (Since July 1994 R 134A)
Warranty: 2 years from the date of purchase
Insulation: Material: Polyurethane, Thickness: 2.5 - 4.5
Suggestions for future changes[edit | edit source]
Make an educational diagram of how the refrigerator works and display it on the side of the refrigerator.