Treadle Pump[edit | edit source]
Wiki[edit | edit source]
- "A treadle pump is a human-powered suction pump that sits on top of a well and is used for irrigation."*
- "The treadle pump is a foot-powered water pump widely used in Asia and spreading in Africa. It consists of two metal cylinders with pistons that are operated by a natural walking motion on two treadles".*
- Three types of treadle pumps:
- Portable Treadle Pump
- Fixed Treadle Pump
- Pressure Treadle Pump
DIY[edit | edit source]
- A blog on DIY of pumps.*
- Discusses about the materials and tools required for fabricating a treadle pump on your own.*
Literature Review[edit | edit source]
Comparative Analysis of Locally A e Analysis of Locally Available Materials for T ailable Materials for Treadle Pump Seals in Senegal, West Africa[edit | edit source]
Tymrak, Brennan, "Comparative Analysis of Locally Available Materials for Treadle Pump Seals in Senegal,
West Africa", Open Access Master's Report, Michigan Technological University, 2016. https://digitalcommons.mtu.edu/etdr/300
- The author felt that the piston seals of the treadle need improvement. This paper deals with a comparative study of different seals which are available locally.
Pereira, C, J Malça, M C Gaspar, and F Ventura. “Human Motion Analysis in Treadle Pump Devices.” In Human Work Interaction Design: Designing for Human Work, 221:135–145. Boston, MA: Springer US, 2006.
- Detailed information about the motion analysis of human for maximum efficiency of treadle pump.
S. N. Srinivas, & C. K. Jalajakshi. (2004). Alternatives to Micro-Irrigation: Evaluation of the Treadle Pump. Economic and Political Weekly, 39(38), 4271-4275. Retrieved September 17, 2020, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/4415562
Performance of bucket drip irrigation powered by treadle pump on tomato and maize/bean production in Malawi[edit | edit source]
Fandika, I., Kadyampakeni, D., & Zingore, S. (2012). Performance of bucket drip irrigation powered by treadle pump on tomato and maize/bean production in Malawi. Irrigation Science, 30(1), 57–68. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00271-010-0260-2
- This website covers all the questions like:
- Process of the pump.
- Advantages & Disadvantages.
- Cost of the pumps.
Melvyn Kay,Tom Brabben(2000). Treadle Pumps For Irrigation In Africa, 11-30.
- This book in-details tells about the manufacturing of the treadle pump and the quality
Low head drip irrigation kits and treadle pumps for smallholder farmers in Zimbabwe: a technical evaluation based on laboratory tests[edit | edit source]
Jeskia Chigerwe, Norbert Manjengwa, Pietervan der Zaag, W.Zhakata, Johan Rockström(2004). 1049-1059, Available: 09/30/2004.
- Abstract-This paper reports results from laboratory tests of four treadle pumps and eight drip kits currently available in Zimbabwe. The results show that it is viable to irrigate drip irrigation gardens up to a size of 1000m2, if the treadle pump and drip kit are well chosen. Such a garden will not only ensure food security of the farmers, but may also generate significant income.*
Kamwamba-Mtethiwa, J., Namara, R., De Fraiture, C., Mangisoni, J., & Owusu, E. (2012). TREADLE PUMP IRRIGATION IN MALAWI: ADOPTION, GENDER AND BENEFITS. Irrigation and Drainage, 61(5), 583–595. https://doi.org/10.1002/ird.1665
- "Abstract-This paper uses a legit model to analyse the factors influencing treadle pump adoption among a stratified random sample of 100 adopters and 100 non‐adopters in two districts in Malawi.".
Sabine Hiller,Wageningen University � Department of Social Sciences