Thanet is a local government district in Kent, England.
Coasts[edit | edit source]
Community currencies activism[edit | edit source]
- RAMLETS, community-based barter system, on facebook.com
Food activism[edit | edit source]
- Windmill Community Gardens, food growing project in Margate, learning centre and community garden, operating since 2004. added 13:19, 6 April 2021 (UTC)
Sustainable transport[edit | edit source]
The Saxon Shore Way Long distance footpath skirts the coast. W
Resources[edit | edit source]
Events[edit | edit source]
There is a small cinema, "The Palace Cinema" (formerly known as The Windsor), in Harbour Street.
- The Broadstairs Dickens Festival is held annually in honour of the novelist Charles Dickens on or around the third week of June. The festival includes a production of one of Dickens' novels, with people about the town wearing Victorian dress. The festival first took place in 1937, when the then owner of Dickens House conceived the idea of commemorating the centenary of the author's first visit by putting on a production of David Copperfield, a novel written in the town.
- In the second week of August each year, the town holds Broadstairs Folk Week music festival. The main acts perform at the Concert Marquee in the town's main park (Pierremont Park), with smaller musical events held in public houses, restaurants, cafés, and at the town's bandstand. Itinerant musicians and Morris dancers perform along the bay promenade. A school and playing field becomes an organization centre and campsite for entertainers. The town's population significantly increases with tourists, day-trippers and holiday makers.
- During the summer season, and on 5 November, there are firework displays every Wednesday evening on Viking Bay.
- In August the town holds an annual Water Gala. In the past this has included a visit by the Red Arrows, a hovercraft and lifeboats. Beach-based competitions and shows continue through the day. A funfair is on the cliff-top gardens, and a small air display takes place.
- In the village of St Peter's, tours are held throughout the summer.
More recently, a new event has been added to the mix – the Big Broadstairs Weekend. Starting the season in May, the event is themed, comprises a dance at the Pavilion on the Friday night, Film on the Beach on the Saturday night and a Guinness World Record Attempt on the Sunday. Broadstairs currently holds the record for biggest remote dance class.
Video[edit | edit source]
News and comment[edit | edit source]
World's largest offshore wind farm opens off Kent, 23 September
Community radio[edit | edit source]
Academy FM (Thanet) is a Charity community 24-hour local radio station based in Ramsgate, Kent, England, which broadcasts to the Isle of Thanet.
Thanet Community Radio offers an online arts- and features-based service for Thanet District and the surrounding area where people can listen to podcasts of local interest. The service works closely with Dover Community Radio. W
Near you[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Towards a more democratic and climate friendly way of meeting housing need across England
- London and South East England
- Saving water in South East England