Who we are[edit | edit source]
See the Parras Invitation for initial information on the program. In addition, please browse the user pages, project pages and other working pages below to see more about us and what we are doing.
Our definition of Appropriate Technology[edit | edit source]
Appropriate Technology is an analytical, iterative and cooperative approach to supporting health and happiness by:
- effectively leveraging local knowledge, materials, wealth and labor
- strengthening symbiotic relationships between individuals, communities and their environment
- employing biomimicry and cradle-to-cradle design
- encouraging transparency, equality and empowerment through education
- considering cultural, political and historical context
- effecting fun, sexy and functional solutions
to bolster local economy and workforce, reduce environmental impacts and improve current conditions for the future.
List of Projects[edit | edit source]
- UTC Solar Distiller
- An ongoing project designed and implemented at Universidad Tecnològica de Coahuila in Parras de la Fuente, Coahuila México to provide safe drinking water purified by the process of solar distillation.
- by Angela Crane and Jeff Kinzer
- El Jardín Mágico de las Niñas
- Two students continue to help veggies and children grow through organic gardening, environmental education and friendships with young girls from disrupted families at an asilo/foster home.
- by Juliana Goldstein and Irene McNaughton
- DIF Adobe Senior Center
- Students and community members made 1000 adobe bricks, and started the construction of Adobe Senior Center at Parras Desarollo Integral de la Familia (DIF).
- by Ana Mari Arruabarrena and Ariana Verona Madappa
- Parras Solar Hot Water
- Repair of a solar hot water heating system for residential showers in Parras. Construction of a solar hot water heating system for a hotel pool in Parras.
- by Aaron Antrim, Tybie Fitzhugh and Ben Grimes
- Photovoltaic vaccine refrigeration at Centro de Salud
- Acquisition and construction of a system for vaccine refrigeration at Centro de Salud utilizing photovoltaic energy.
- by Daniel Colman, Mark Ambrosino and Lauren Lamet
- Construction of a pilot wastewater marsh
- by Tressie Word and Kendra Cecil
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "Parras 2006"
The following 23 pages are in this category, out of 23 total.