|Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing and recycling.
Limitations of Nuclear Power as a Sustainable Energy Source[edit | edit source]
- Pearce J.M. Limitations of Nuclear Power as a Sustainable Energy Source. Sustainability. 2012; 4(6):1173-1187. open access
This paper provides a review and analysis of the challenges that nuclear power must overcome in order to be considered sustainable. The results make it clear that not only do innovative technical solutions need to be generated for the fundamental inherent environmental burdens of nuclear energy technology, but the nuclear industry must also address difficult issues of equity both in the present and for future generations. The results show that if the concept of just sustainability is applied to the nuclear energy sector a global large-scale sustainable nuclear energy system to replace fossil fuel combustion requires the following: (i) a radical improvement in greenhouse gas emissions intensity by improved technology and efficiency through the entire life cycle to prevent energy cannibalism during rapid growth; (ii) the elimination of nuclear insecurity to reduce the risks associated with nuclear power so that the free market can indemnify it without substantial public nuclear energy insurance subsidies; (iii) the elimination of radioactive waste at the end of life and minimization of environmental impact during mining and operations; and (iv) the nuclear industry must regain public trust or face obsolescence as a swarm of renewable energy technologies quickly improve both technical and economic performance.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Energy cannibalism
- Diverting indirect subsidies from the nuclear to the photovoltaic industry: Energy and financial returns
[edit | edit source]
- POST report comparing energy production plants' lifecycle
- Nuclear Energy and the ‘Mother of all Subsidies’
- Obama's fracked-up climate strategy will guarantee global warming disaster The Guardian, Common Dreams
- Antinuclear Austria Should Lead the Way on Nuclear Power - Scientific American