|Keywords||, , , , , , ,|
|Designed in||Michigan, USA|
|Cost||USD $ 0.59|
|Hardware||CC BY-SA 4.0|
There are many great gardening tools in the world today, but one of the most useful in many ways is the hori hori knife. That's "dig dig" in Japanese.The hori hori has several uses. The blade's shape, compared to typical trowels, works very well for planting small transplants. The sharp edge can be used for a small hand ax or to cut open bags and other containers. The serrated edge can be used to cut through small roots, and the concave shape makes it easy to dig out weeds, even the tough ones. It can also be used as a measuring device for planting bulbs. Overall, the hori hori has uses in gardening such as weeding, cutting roots, transplanting, removing plants, sod cutting, and splitting perennials.
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
- This gardening tool can be completely 3D printed using PLA or any other printable material that is strong enough.
- link to all source files from open source CAD and all STLs [Hori Hori Gardening Knife/Shovel]
Tools needed[edit | edit source]
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
Skills and knowledge needed[edit | edit source]
- There are no special skills needed for the creation of this tool.
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- Before this tool can be printed it is importent to note some settings that will need to be moidified to provide a solid print.
- This print will need supports, the amount you want to support it depends on your preference but 10% will work just fine.
- The higher the infill % you set will make the tool stronger and heavier.
- Printing at a speed above 60 mm/s may lead to the filiment being torn so it is wise to supervise the print to make sure this does not happen.
- When uploding the STL into a slicer softwear the tool may need to be rotated to fit on the print bed, For my use it was rotated (-90,-90,-45) x,y,z.
- At the settings mentioned above the final print time comes to 3 hours and 37 minutes.
- No assembly time needed, the tool is print and play.
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
- At 7.5 cents/meter for PLA and the print consisting of 7.83 meters of material at the settings mentioned above the final cost of this print costs around 59 cents to print.
- One of the cheaper commercial equivalents Hori Hori Knife on Gempler's
- This print would save you $21.40 + depending on the quality, that is a minimum of a 97.32% saving
Benefited Internet Communities[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- web page: Havesting History Seeding The Future: https://harvesting-history.com/shop/the-hori-hori-japanese-gardening-knife/
- web page: Gardening Know How: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/tools/using-a-hori-hori-knife.htm
- web page: Hori Hori: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hori_hori