The hand wood planer is designed for making medium to detailed design cuts on wood. Typically, these cuts are low stress on the handle, so printing out of PLA is acceptable for the design. Wood planers, hand and electric, have been around for a long time. Although they have been around for a while, the price for either a hand or electric planer has not gone down, and in fact remains expensive in comparison to other tools. This woodworking tool is commonly used by carpenters to make small cuts and level off surfaces. They allow for small layers of surfaces to be cut without comprising integrity of the material.
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
- Any printer material can be used to create this part
- The open source, STL, and g-code files for the print can be found on YouMagine
- The blades required for fabrication can be found on Amazon - Wood Planer Blades ($16.50/blade)
- The bolt required for fabrication can be found on Locking Bolt ($0.75/bolt)
Tools needed[edit | edit source]
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- Flat head screwdriver
Skills and knowledge needed[edit | edit source]
- Fabrication of this design does not require any specialized skills or knowledge.
- User should have basic knowledge with printing software
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- Be sure to download appropriate files off of YouMagine. They need to be sliced in order to meet your printer requirements.
- Upload into printing software and start print.
- Insert pin into wood planer block. Be sure not to jam in the slots in case of fracture.
- Screw in M6 bolt into blade locking mechanism and lock down purchased blade.
- Plane boards to create desired dimensions.
Common Problems and Solutions[edit | edit source]
- There has not been any problems found with assembly and usage of this part.
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
- It takes about $18.50 to create a functional hand planer from the OSAT model. A single blade comes out to $16.50 and a M6 bolt comes out to $0.75.
- Link provided to equivalent wood planer at $45 
- The total savings by printing this part is $26.50 which comes out to 59%. Better than some black Friday sales.
Benefited Internet Communities[edit | edit source]
- Hand Planes and Thickness Planer
- Hand v. Electric Planer
- How Does a Hand Planer Work?
- Hand Planers
- Hand Tools
References[edit | edit source]
- Web Page: Hand Wood Planer Available: https://www.amazon.com/Kattool-Trimming-Woodworking-Planing-Smoothing/dp/B07GN4KZYQ?ref_=Oct_TopRatedC_553218_1&pf_rd_p=2892f94b-eb33-56ee-888b-1b0ebfb6aa16&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=553218&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=CVMH6VAXBXEYEHS4VW2Z&pf_rd_r=CVMH6VAXBXEYEHS4VW2Z&pf_rd_p=2892f94b-eb33-56ee-888b-1b0ebfb6aa16