Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Garden Hose Splitter
OSAT Garden Hose Splitter
Project developed by Stuart Larsen (talk) 17:20, 02 December 2014 (PST)
Water is one of the most important aspects of life all over the world, arguably the most important. So it is critical to have a robust infrastructure that can handle the demands of water, whether they be for survival, or agriculture or it's million of other uses.
So for this project I build a simple garden hose splitter. 
- This OSAT is a garden hose splitter that can be used to split water streams from a common garden hose nozel. . This splitter can be customized to any desired size, and can be paired with multiples of itself to further increase splitage.
Bill of Materials
- Garden hoses
- Water seal/ moldable plastic
- Source files and stl files can be found here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:577610
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- Water seal material
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the Splitter
- No special skills necessary, just use of a 3D printer.
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
- Download part off thingiverse.
- Modify .scad file to use your hose type (GHS or BSP)
- US: "garden hose thread", which is 3/4" straight thread and a pitch of 11.5 TPI (male part has an outer diameter of 1 1⁄16 inches (26.99 mm)) and is used for 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" hoses
- Non-US: Outside the United States, the more common BSP standard is used, which is 3/4" and 14 TPI (male part OD is 26.441 mm or 1.04 in)
- Slice file using your favorite slicer.
- Print part
- Apply tape or adhesive material to threading to create good connection
It takes about two and a half hours to print if using 50% infill. Cura also said it'd take about 59 grams of plastic to complete. So if you say a kilogram of plastic is $25, the print cost about $1.45.
Common Problems and Solutions
Make sure you check what sort of hose you'll be using. If you're in the US it is most likely a GHS, outside of the us it is BSP.
The cheapest I found was 8.99. Although it also had valves. But chances are you can get around not having valves.
So cost saving is like 6.50 per unit. That's a 620% saving!
- web page: Appropedia Garden Hose Nozel Main Page, Available: http://www.appropedia.org/Garden_Hose_Splitter