Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Prosthetic Plastic Literature Review
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
blends of polypropylene and polyurethane rigidity for prosthetics
Nanophase Separation in Segmented Polyurethane Elastomers
Pukánszky, Béla, et al. “Nanophase Separation in Segmented Polyurethane Elastomers: Effect of Specific Interactions on Structure and Properties.” European Polymer Journal, vol. 44, no. 8, Aug. 2008, pp. 2431–38. ScienceDirect, doi:10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2008.06.008.
- They are bio-compatible and can provide a functional outer coating
- Tensile strength depends on the molecular weight
- Adding -NCO/OH groups vary the molecular weight
- You reach a point of excess -OH groups added
- When you reached a peak of -OH groups added, the excess you put in the shorter the length before breakage
- Melt viscosity relies on the length of the molecule
- Stiffness relies on phase structure
Costello, C. R., et al. “Characterization of Heavyweight and Lightweight Polypropylene Prosthetic Mesh Explants From a Single Patient.” Surgical Innovation, vol. 14, no. 3, Sept. 2007, pp. 168–76. Crossref, doi:10.1177/1553350607306356.
- The way the body reacts to polypropylene depends on the genetic make up of the person
- Checking the differences between light-weight and heavy-weight polypropylene in the body
- Could soak the material in a buffer solution (better homeostasis qualities)
- Take into account the oxidation of the material to determine longevity