A list of Open Source Machine Tools - Project Collection
Background[edit | edit source]
The Open Source Machine Tools Project Collection serves as a comprehensive resource for listing and referencing existing open-source machine tools. These tools are physical artifacts designed and shared by the open-source community, aligning with the principles of open source hardware (OSH) and fostering innovation in the realm of manufacturing and engineering.
Benefits and criteria[edit | edit source]
The collection highlights the benefits and criteria associated with open-source machine tools:
- Accessibility: Open-source machine tools make manufacturing capabilities accessible to a broader audience, empowering individuals and small businesses.
- Cost-Efficiency: Building or modifying machine tools based on open designs can be more cost-effective than purchasing proprietary equipment.
- Customization: Users can adapt and customize machine tools to suit their specific needs, fostering innovation.
- Collaboration: The open-source community provides valuable feedback and improvements, resulting in better designs.
- Education: OSH machine tools are excellent resources for educational purposes, teaching engineering and manufacturing skills.
Excamples of Open Source Machine Tool Projects[edit | edit source]
This collection references notable existing projects that adhere to open-source principles in the field of machine tools. Each project is accompanied by a brief description and a link for further information:
- OpenBuilds: Offers open source plans for building various CNC machines, including routers, laser cutters, and 3D printers. Learn More
- Open Source Ecology - GVCS: The Global Village Construction Set is an Open Source Hardware project that includes plans for a wide range of machine tools and agricultural equipment. Learn More
- Sienci Labs - LongMill CNC: Provides open source plans for their LongMill CNC machine, allowing users to build a versatile CNC milling machine. Learn More
- Precious Plastic: Focuses on open-source machines for recycling plastic, playing a vital role in sustainable manufacturing. Learn More
- Inmachines: Provide Open Source Machines for Fab Labs, including CNC, 3D print, laser cutting and more (not all documentation yet available, see GitHub Repositories). Learn More
How to contribute[edit | edit source]
1. Suggest New Projects: If you come across open-source machine tool projects with open-source licenses not included in this collection, please suggest them for inclusion.
2. Provide Updates: If you have updates or additional information about any of the listed projects, share them to ensure accuracy.
3. Collaborate: If you're a part of an open-source machine tool project with an open-source license, collaborate to improve the listing and share insights.
4. Spread the Word: Promote the Open Source Machine Tools Project Collection within relevant communities to help others discover and benefit from these projects.
The Project Collection embodies the spirit of open design, collaboration, and innovation in the realm of machine tools with open-source licenses. By contributing and participating, you contribute to the democratization of manufacturing capabilities and the growth of the Open Source Hardware community.
Contact details[edit | edit source]
currently maintained via Tolocar