We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Project developed by Michael Warburton
- This nutcracker is fully made with a 3D printer. Designed for high volume processing of a variety of nuts.
- Cracks many types of nuts, is hand operated.
- Increase financial mobility of poor nut farmers, by providing a low cost simple way to process their crops.
Bill of Materials
- Fully 3D printable. No extra parts needed.
- Link to all source files from open source CAD (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/nut-cracker-23-25)
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- 1.75mm PLA Filament, 55g used
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT
- Not Applicable
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
- Provide directions for print/assembly - be detailed enough in your “how to” to ensure that someone could construct the device from your description. Consider the elegance of IKEA like instructions.
- Printed in two pieces. One is the base, and the other is the strike. Assembly is easy, simply insert the strike into the top of the base.
- Cura estimate for this print is 2hr 38min @ 0.3mm layer height, 20% infill
- Pictures of the device at stage of assembly. (https://www.appropedia.org/File:Nutcrackerpieces.jpg)
- Video of Nutcracker in action.
|Nut Cracker in action|
Common Problems and Solutions
- The nut may be to small for the strike to crack the shell. This strike was designed not to crush the inside of the nut, only the shell. The original scad file can be altered to change the size of the strike. Just enter the nutheight in the variable section. The end of the strike is concaved to prevent nut rollout.
- If your solution is not a low cost one then it is not really appropriate.
- Estimated cost of this project is $0.99. 0.055kg @ $18/kg = $0.99
- Commercially Available Nutcracker 
- $8 in savings, 11% of the commercial price.
[[Category:How tos]] [[Category:Water]]