Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Hydroponic halo ring
Hydroponic halo ring
Project developed by Matthew Alessi
In today's day and age, both hobbyist and survival horticultural practices are been becoming more of a nor within our culture. As the amount of people entering the hobby increase, there is a growing demand for better and cheaper gardening products. I have also joined in on this new growing hobby and have personally found that commercial horticultural equipment is expensive to purchase; so to combat this, I have embarked on creating a line of 3-D printable hydroponic/agricultural products (all open source of course). The first item that I have created is called a "Hydro halo drip ring", and is used to evenly water plants from a central location using a timer and a water pump.
- Picture of completed print will be provided later.
Bill of Materials
- 3-D Printing filament (i.e. PLA, ABS, etc.) <= That is the only material you need to print this part!
- SCAD/STL file of the hydro drip ring
Scad and STL files available here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:577334/#files
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT
Nothing more than basic 3D printing and altering well commented variables to get desired size required
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
I used Openscad for the model, Cura for the slicer, and Repetier-Host to print the part.
- Open the .SCAD file in Openscad, and adjust the given parameters to fit your needs. All units are in millimeters. Note: The hydroponic halo is currently set with a 6" diameter and can handle a 1/2 inner diameter hose connection.
Approximate print time (assuming original model is left un-altered) estimate
- 3 hours 20 minutes
- My design used $3.13 in plastic at $25/Kg (i.e. 125 grams of polymer were used to print this)
- Commercial Hydro halo like this will cost around 11 dollars
- The total estimated savings are therefore approximately 71.54%!