Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Energy Star Monitors
Energy Star Monitors
This ECM details the economic and environmental savings generated by reducing electricity consumption associated with changing your current monitor to a new model that is certified as energy efficient. Included is an example of the potential savings that could be achieved by making this change in an organization such as your own. The ECM is also built in a way to provide you with information about your current technology, but also alert you of potential savings by switching to not only a different model, but a different size monitor, to improve the return on your investment. The investigation also considers the impact of changing the power profiles your monitors currently employ; for example, how quickly the monitor will go into standby after a period of inactivity, etc.
- Current size and number of monitors investigated
- Number of working days per year
- Cost of electricity your organization pays, as well as a rate of inflation in the price of energy if applciable
- Power consumption of current monitors in on/sleep/off states
- Usage profile of current monitors per working day (i.e. number of hours per day monitor is "on", etc.)
- Proposed power usage profile for monitors.
- Grid emissions (CO2), base initially on Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- Manufacturer warranty period is 3 years (may differ by manufacturer), so IRRs are presented in 3- and 5-year periods (5-year is a common investment period, while 3-years is safely anticipated as the 'usable life' of the monitor while in reality it may be much longer.
- Risk-free rate of return, as based on Canadian Treasury Bond notes
- Current monitors are replaced with the same size monitor, although information about other monitors is also available.
Download this calculator
The most recent version of this calculator, as confirmed by the Queen's Green IT Group (original constructors of the document), is available here:
For a complete analysis for your organization, you may also want to check out the following ECM calculators:
- Energy efficient power supplies for desktop computers- Reduce power consumption of your current desktop computers without affecting their performance.
- Energy efficient laptop computers- Switching to laptop computers to reduce energy consumption and improve employee productivity by allowing them to work remotely.
- Phantom power reduction (smart power bars)- Using smart power bars to reduce the amount of electrical energy consumed by devices while they are plugged in but not in use.
For more information on this project, check the Queen's Green IT ECM homepage.
For more information on other related devices, the power consumption certification requirements and more, head to Energy Star homepage.