We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Chicken Feeder/Waterer w/ adapter
Title of the device or system
Project developed by Adam Mitchell
This is a baseplate for a poultry feeder and waterer, which a gallon jug would be used as the hopper. This solution provides safe, short-term storage for either poultry feed or water that will fill the feeder when it begins to run low. This also allows for chickens to be well fed/watered and allow for the owner to refill the feeders less often, allowing them to tend to other responsibilities. A gallon jug is easy to fill with the desired feed, and is easy to screw into the baseplate.
Bill of Materials
- Feeder or Waterer
- Plastic Gallon Jug
- Poultry Food or Water
- FreeCAD and STL files can be found here: Youmagine Chicken Feeder and Waterer
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- Knife to cut hole into the top of the milk jug (if desired, feeder only)
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT
- Basic 3D printing skills
- Basic CAD skills to adjust threads if necessary
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
- Download the STL file from above (Bill of Materials, admitche_feeder.stl OR admitche_waterer.stl)
- Convert the STL to a gcode file using Cura .
- Upload the gcode file to Repetier Server and print the part (depending on the settings in Cura the print should take about 2 hours).
- Once the part has finished, remove it from the bed.
- Fill the gallon jug with desired material (poultry food, water).
- Screw the baseplate into the jug. The assembly should be upside for this step.
- Flip the feeder assembly over. The baseplate should fill up with the contents of the jug.
- Place feeder into the poultry pen.
Common Problems and Solutions
- Be careful when screwing the jug into the baseplate to avoid damaging the threads.
- The feeder should be placed on a lever surface, especially for water.
- Cost of printed baseplate: $2.10 USD
- Cost of chicken feeder from TS: $12.99 USD
- Used as inspiration for design.