Redirected from Appropedia:SD

Appropedia:Site development

From Appropedia
Shortcuts:
A:SD
A:DEV

This page is Appropedia's site development tasks and bug reports.

New task

Look into implementing site-wide citations and DOI for pages[edit source]

See Appropedia:Village pump#Following up on references display. --Emilio (talk)

Metadata and default license for image uploaders (visual/source editor)[edit source]

Is this normal? Check this image for example. Recommended: set up a disclaimer, for examples: "Images uploaded are licensed as CC-BY-SA 4.0. For other licenses, use Special:Upload." --Emilio (talk)

@Emilio: I just modified MediaWiki:Copyright so that the footer of all pages (including images) now reads "All content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise specified". What do you think? Is it worth allowing images under a different license? Sophivorus (talk) 13:00, 17 December 2020 (UTC)
@Scann, Sophivorus: I think that works for now, and probably Scann may have some ideas. Emilio (talk) 15:43, 17 December 2020 (UTC)
I think we need to clarify the license version (so I'd make it a CC BY 4.0, with a link to the unported/international version), but that should also be accompanied with the overhaul of the Copyrights page (which frankly doesn't make sense). Additionally I'd be very clear that other TOS might apply, we need to make that clear for folks. A safe bet would be to copy a similar footer to what Wikipedia currently has, even if we haven't written those pages yet. Also I wonder why we're putting CC BY SA as the recommended license. It might be tricky to recommend licenses. We probably want to generate a blurb that says: "don't know what the CC licenses are? Check here" or something in that line. Scann (talk) 13:04, 18 December 2020 (UTC)

Make our images appear in Google image search for Creative Commons images[edit source]

It may be as simple as some udata or data tag attached to our cc template in images. --Emilio (talk)

Update: I believe we need to enable the {{Information}} template for the File namespace. —Emilio (talk) 03:12, 22 December 2020 (UTC)
@Emilio Following https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/image-license-metadata and after quite a while of trying, today I was able to hardcode the licensing data for one specific file (File:Lubetkin Highpoint II December 2005.jpg), test it out at Google's Rich Results Test. Next I'll generalize and integrate the markup to the Template:Information so that all new files benefit from it. Also, while researching this issue, I found a compilation of advanced google search features that we could progressively take advantage of. Check it out! Sophivorus (talk) 15:50, 4 January 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Hi! Today I managed to generalize the image metadata via a new Template:Image license metadata and integrated it to most of the file licensing templates (such as Template:CC BY-SA 4.0) rather than the Template:Information. Now all files using these templates should be understandable by Google (though it will take a few days for Google to catch on). I also normalized and improved the text of said licensing templates and organized the licensing categories. Tomorrow I'll try to finish with this task, since there're still a few loose ends. Sophivorus (talk) 16:45, 7 January 2021 (UTC)
Oh wow, thanks so much! This is beautiful. Emilio (talk) 17:57, 7 January 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Hi again! Today I finished updating the licensing templates. I also renamed all the "images" categories to the more general and appropriate term "files" (so Category:US images is now Category:US files, etc) and simplified and organized a great deal the file categories, as can be seen from Category:Files. This brings us another step closer to a simple, useful, scalable and maintainable file management system! Sophivorus (talk) 15:55, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio It looks like Google is starting to notice the new licencing metadata! Sophivorus (talk) 20:12, 30 January 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio @Kathy Nativi Hi! I just noticed that the new images indexed don't link to the basic image page, but to weird non-canonical URLs. This is because Google is crawling all links on Appropedia, rather than the basic canonical URLs. In other words, Google is crawling links like:
https://www.appropedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:IGSvent_in.jpg&veaction=edit
when it should only crawl:
https://www.appropedia.org/File:IGSvent_in.jpg
To fix this, I just created https://www.appropedia.org/robots.txt following the recommendations at mw:Manual:Robots.txt#With short URLs
I tested the rules at https://technicalseo.com/tools/robots-txt/ and https://es.ryte.com/free-tools/robots-txt/ and it's all looking fine, but we should still keep an eye open on Analytics and Search Console for any issues. Sophivorus (talk) 11:59, 10 February 2021 (UTC)
@Sophivorus: Hi! I checked the Google Search Console, and I think https://www.appropedia.org/robots.txt is causing problems because it couldn't read the sitemap. Also, the health score has dropped drastically to zero, and we now have several orphan pages. Kathy Nativi (talk) 19:23, 15 February 2021 (UTC)
@Kathy Nativi Hi, thanks for noticing! I just added an exception to the robots.txt file for the sitemap. Search Console hasn't caught on yet and I think I cannot force it, but I trust in a few minutes or hours it will. Let me know if you notice anything on your side! Sophivorus (talk) 19:47, 15 February 2021 (UTC)
@Sophivorus Thanks! Let's give it a couple of minutes or hours. I'll keep an eye on it ;) Kathy Nativi (talk) 19:49, 15 February 2021 (UTC)
@Kathy Nativi It looks like Search Console has already found the sitemap. Did the "heath score" recover? Not sure where to look for that. Sophivorus (talk) 13:26, 17 February 2021 (UTC)
@Sophivorus Yep! We're back at 55 :) Kathy Nativi (talk) 15:27, 17 February 2021 (UTC)

Improve Help:Creating a page#Get started with a page template to use forms and visual editor[edit source]

Sophivorus (talk) 18:06, 24 December 2020 (UTC)

PdfHandler[edit source]

This extension might be useful, especially to display many PDF files such as documents and presentations. PDF might also serve in the future as the second type of media available at skill pages.

@Emilio This extension requires some command line tools (pdfinfo, pdftotext and maybe others) that are not currently available on our server and don't seem trivial to install via WHM. Sophivorus (talk) 14:24, 3 January 2021 (UTC)

Accept ToS when creating account[edit source]

Is it possible that we create a ToS (Terms of Service) were we also include the information about the copyrights? I'm working on the Copyrights page now, but I think it would be useful if when people create an account they directly agree to releasing their content under a CC BY SA 4.0. The same is true for the "save changes" section, that needs to be improved:

Appropedia copyright.png

I'd put a different text there, it should read:

"By saving changes, you agree to the Terms of Use, and you irrevocably agree to release your contribution under the CC BY-SA 4.0 License. You agree that a hyperlink or URL is sufficient attribution under the Creative Commons license."

Terms of Use should link to a page we don't have yet but that we should create, where we explain that users a) should not upload copyrighted stuff and b) that Appropedia might decide unilaterally and on its own to update the CC license version to the most updated one, etc., among other things.

Also, happy new year folks!

(also I can't find the signature button anywhere but who else could be talking about copyright & tos)

Create template for Bill of Materials[edit source]

Sophivorus (talk) 19:36, 18 January 2021 (UTC)

Can we call it Template:BOM please? Some Bill of Materials might not contain costs. -- Emilio (talk) 18:04, 19 January 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Sure! Today I started Template:Bill of materials (I made Template:BOM a redirect, as I think abbreviations should be allowed but not encouraged), check it out! It still has a long way to go, but I think it had a good start. To design it, I searched for "bill of materials" and opened several pages to see what elements were most common. In the next iteration I want to make the "buy" link more flexible, since it looks like users sometimes write plain text, other times link to Appropedia pages, and other times to external sites, see for example Open-source metal 3-D printer#Bill of Materials (one of our top pages). Feedback welcome! Sophivorus (talk) 14:59, 22 January 2021 (UTC)
As I'm using this template, I think that there is one improvement to be done to the buy field by renaming it as source, to accept either a URL or text such as "donation", "previously owned" or "repurposed" (perhaps as recommended fields in the documentation). An optional image field would also be useful. What do you think? Emilio (talk) 03:34, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Hi! I just extended the template to support images, check out the documentation for the syntax. As to the buy/source/whatever field, I renamed it to just "text" so that the user may enter any kind of extra information they wish. I think that until we have a real use case in sight for this extra information that will justify specific fields, having a generic text field is the simplest, sanest and most flexible solution. Sophivorus (talk) 12:37, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Hi! I just improved the Template:Bill of Materials so that it doesn't throw errors when no costs or amounts are given. Check out for example your simple tool list example. You'll notice that it also makes some assumptions, namely that if the amount is not specified, it assumes 1, and if the cost is not specified, it assumes 0. I think these are reasonable assumptions, but maybe you'll think it'd be better to hide all unused columns. However, this leads to quite complicated, ugly and unmaintainable wikitext, and more importantly, it defeats the purpose of it being a table. If all that needs to be shown is a list of items, then surely a table is not the proper HTML structure. Another template that outputs an unordered list (maybe similar to Template:Steps) would probably be more adequate. What do you think? Kind regards, Sophivorus (talk) 15:57, 11 March 2021 (UTC)
@Cassandreces, Sophivorus: I agree with you. I'll add Juli to the conversation, but I think that one way to do this is to have a tool with similar syntax that can turn from one to the other. One example is a person who starts with a list and then changes the name of the template to include costs once the documentation is finished?) Emilio (talk) 16:27, 11 March 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Today I created Template:Tools. I'm a bit short on time so I only did the structure. Next I'll focus on styling. Unless you say otherwise, I think I'll mostly copy the style at Template:Steps. Cheers! Sophivorus (talk) 13:03, 12 March 2021 (UTC)
Seems like a great idea, I agree that a similar stylesheet will work. Emilio (talk) 16:23, 12 March 2021 (UTC)
@Sophivorus: I just found out that you cannot do both text and image in this template. Is this a desired behavior? See Preload:ESEN Innovación Proyecto 2021#Presupuesto for an example. Emilio (talk) 02:37, 20 March 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Hi! You were missing a "3", see here. XD Sophivorus (talk) 13:11, 27 March 2021 (UTC)
Whoops! Thanks a lot!— Emilio (talk) 20:20, 28 March 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio While creating the stylesheet for Template:Tool, I realized the entire template was an exact copy of Template:Step, only with another name. So instead of duplicating templates, I made Template:Tool a redirect to Template:Step. I also generalized Template:Step so that now it doesn't require a number. If no number is provided, no number is displayed. This effectively makes Template:Step a generic template for creating list items of any type (steps, tools, ingredients, whatever). So I'd like to rename Template:Step as simply Template:Item, but it seems like you already created Template:Item in connection with Module:Item. They don't seem to be used much though. Do you have any plans for them? PS: I also created Template:Ingredient as a redirect to Template:Step, see Preload:Recipe, cheers! Sophivorus (talk) 13:32, 27 March 2021 (UTC)
@Sophivorus: I think I created this from Wikipedia:Template:Item but I don't think I ever used it. So yeah, feel free to change it to anything you need, and yes, great idea to have a generic template! Maybe we could create some style elements for it in the future so it holds an icon or some sort of identifier, as well as a custom template for specific pages? —Emilio (talk) 20:17, 28 March 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Done! Not sure I understand your idea. Do you mean some kind of visual identifier to distinguish steps from tools from ingredients? Sophivorus (talk) 13:08, 29 March 2021 (UTC)
@Sophivorus: Yes, something like that. We had a talk in person regarding using specific CSS classes for Fashion Revolution infocards. Maybe this is not a good idea (we'll have to discuss it) but it might work to have a specific set of classes for organizations that could apply to the toolbox in general: color, borders, etc. Perhaps that'll be something to talk about once we have a somewhat finished version of the toolbox for us to play with. Emilio (talk) 16:58, 29 March 2021 (UTC)

Poncho skin[edit source]

@Emilio Hi! I just improved the Poncho skin so that the menu (top-right) now supports submenus, check it out! You'll notice that one of the submenus is just too long for this design, but I actually think the problem in this case is that the submenu is just too long in general, and it may be better to shorten it rather than expecting Poncho to support such long menus. Other than that, what do you think of this submenu strategy? Sophivorus (talk) 14:07, 17 February 2021 (UTC)

@Emilio Hi again! I did some more tweaks to the skin based on what we talked, check it out at for example CCAT greenhouse, GSTC and Category:GSTC courses. Feel free to play with the skin at MediaWiki:Poncho.css and let me know your thoughts and any issues you notice. Also, let me know when you settle on a color palette so I can start experimenting too, cheers! Sophivorus (talk) 13:19, 1 March 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Hi yet again! I just improved Poncho with some styling for the Talk namespace and Help link, as we discussed. Looking forward to those colors! Sophivorus (talk) 13:51, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
I was looking at a subpage and noticed that the breadcrumb and the talk button create two lines. Is it possible to align them to avoid them taking up vertical space? I'll try to show you an example later. Emilio (talk) 18:42, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio Hi! I think I know what you mean. I moved the breadcrumbs above the title. However, because of the way floating works, the breadcrumbs still push the title a bit down, compare for example User:Sophivorus with User:Sophivorus/sandbox. Also, notice that the position of the breadcrumbs is necessarily the same as the redirect messages (and others, probably), see for example Template:Step. I'm still not 100% satisfied with the look/position of the talk page link, help link, page indicators, breadcrumbs, redirect messages, etc. There're so many and varied elements that it's difficult to find a coherent and simple solution. However I think the current situation is probably good enough. What do you think? Sophivorus (talk) 14:09, 29 March 2021 (UTC)

Progress or checklist template[edit source]

Develop a template that detects and communicates to users the missing elements of a proper documentation. Sophivorus (talk) 17:05, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

@Emilio First version at Template:Project checklist. Waiting for some feedback from Catherine or you. :-) Sophivorus (talk) 13:21, 1 March 2021 (UTC)

Update Template:Event[edit source]

I was looking at mw:Template:Event and wanted to hear your opinion on the best way to implement it since Template:Event exists for a different purpose. What do you think? I'm looking to implement a template to track events happening on our platform (such as by Fashion Revolution or GSTC. —Emilio (talk) 00:57, 4 March 2021 (UTC)

@Emilio Our Template:Event isn't really used anywhere in the wiki, so we may replace it. But before I do, I'd like to know, where would the template be used? On the main page? Sophivorus (talk) 11:31, 4 March 2021 (UTC)
I was thinking of using them to show future events at portals such as the FR, maybe as a sort of "upcoming events" widget. Emilio (talk) 17:56, 4 March 2021 (UTC)

Private namespaces per GSTC team[edit source]

@Emilio, GSTC: To prevent each team from seeing the work of others, we'll create 12 private namespaces, named GSTC1, GSTC2, etc. and 12 user groups, also named GSTC1, GSTC2, etc. Each group will only have access to their own namespace, so all that you need to do (Catherine) is add each user to their user group. Makes sense? Sophivorus (talk) 20:13, 16 March 2021 (UTC)

@GSTC: We are choosing something like this (and less verbose) because namespaces are usually short and made up of one word. Given that these will be temporary work spaces, this might be a decent solution for now. What do you think? Emilio (talk) 20:16, 16 March 2021 (UTC)

Create template with target for user pages[edit source]

I was curious about how to use Template:Create to help users load a specific user page template. Perhaps a button that directs users to Special:MyPage with the preload? Is that possible? Also, I'm thinking that the ability to direct to subpages would be super useful as well. I wonder if that one is possible too! Emilio (talk) 20:46, 19 March 2021 (UTC)

@Emilio Hi! I just added a "prefix" parameter to Template:Create, so now you can define input boxes that create subpages. See the template documentation for an example. As to your other request, I just modified MediaWiki:Noarticletext which defines the text to be shown whenever a page doesn't exist. If the page is a user page, it'll now show a nice blue button to create it and it'll preload the text at Preload:User. See for example a non-existent user page (like https://www.appropedia.org/User:Danlevi) and compare with a non-existent page in the mainspace (like https://www.appropedia.org/Some_page) and a non-existent page in some other namespace (like https://www.appropedia.org/Template:Foo). Notice however that Form:User is still set as default when following red links to user pages (like User:Danlevi). Once we have a decent preload for user pages, I can disable the form as default. However, there's also the issue that red links in general (see Some page) will jump straight to the edit box. I'm still thinking on how to best solve this, so any feedback would be welcome. Also, if you simply want a template that may be inserted anywhere and that serves to create a user page, you can use the following:
{{Button|url={{fullurl:Special:MyPage|veaction=edit&preload=Preload:User}}|text=Create your user page}}
which will output:
Create your user page
Kind regards, Sophivorus (talk) 15:11, 21 March 2021 (UTC)
@Sophivorus: Hi! I noticed that this template is active by default on all user pages, but I noticed that it also appears on subpages (for example at User:Emilio/non user page which may confuse users. Is there a way to deactivate this for subpages? Emilio (talk) 22:01, 26 March 2021 (UTC)
Fixed! Sophivorus (talk) 13:37, 27 March 2021 (UTC)

GSTC Preloads[edit source]

@Cassandreces, Sophivorus: I created Preload:GSTC medical skill. I am thinking of a few technical items that we should look into: (1) the timestamp anchor in the description doesn't work for me at all times (on Firefox). (2) The equipment and materials template needs a bit more love. I also created Preload:Quiz with not much content for now, but it's a good start. Let me know your thoughts! —Emilio (talk) 06:33, 23 March 2021 (UTC)

@Emilio: Hi! (1) I'm not 100% sure but I think I just fixed what was causing your issue. Let me know if it happens again! (2) Do you mean Template:Tool? Done, see my other message! Sophivorus (talk) 14:28, 27 March 2021 (UTC)

Preloads don't seem to work on all mobiles[edit source]

See a reproduction using Firefox at File:Video 2021-03-25 15-30-53.mp4. Compare with the form on a laptop at Vigyan Ashram. —Emilio (talk) 21:32, 25 March 2021 (UTC)

@Emilio This is so unfortunate :-( It seems like the issue was reported and fixed years ago. However it wasn't fully fixed and we're just now finding out. I reopened the issue with a clear way to reproduce it, so maybe we'll get a fix soon. Lets wait a few days to see if there's any activity. Sophivorus (talk) 14:04, 27 March 2021 (UTC)
Someone commented that if you click on the X on the mobile editor, you go back to another editor that does include the preload. It's definitely not cool but at least worth knowing. Sophivorus (talk) 13:12, 29 March 2021 (UTC)

Databoxes[edit source]

@Emilio Hi! I'm creating this task to track the progress regarding the transition from infoboxes to databoxes. Today I did some improvements to Template:Databox. I also created Template:Recipe data and added it to Preload:Recipe and to Chucrut. While doing so, I realized that the image, caption, keywords and authors parameters were exactly the same as in Template:Project data and that they would be exactly the same in all other equivalent databoxes (say Template:Device data, Template:Medical device data, etc). So I went ahead and created Template:Page data, the idea behind this databox being to hold the most generic page information, common to all or almost all pages, such as the image, caption, keywords, maybe the language code (not sure if to keep that at Template:Language data) and author information (though this will probably merit a Template:Author data of its own). Anyway I'm not sure if this will be the best approach in the end, but I think it's something we'll have to grapple with more sooner than later. Looking forward to your reply! Sophivorus (talk) 15:13, 29 March 2021 (UTC)

@Sophivorus, Cassandreces: Hi! This is so cool. Julieta and I will meet next Monday and speak a bit about use cases and the metadata for each of these. Then we can have a discussion about what could work. What do you think? — Emilio (talk) 00:53, 30 March 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio, Cassandreces: Great! Can I join the meeting? Sophivorus (talk) 14:19, 30 March 2021 (UTC)
Of course! Cassandreces (talk) 17:04, 1 April 2021 (UTC)

Contact info[edit source]

@Emilio Hi! Today I normalized a few projects and in one of them I encountered contact information. There're many many pages with such contact information, so I just created Template:Contact so we can start giving them some structure, functionality, semantics, etc. I also wrote some documentation and included a link to it on Appropedia:Toolbox. I suspect it may become a popular template if we encourage it, but should we? Sophivorus (talk) 15:31, 30 March 2021 (UTC)

Hmm, not sure why I didn't think of this before, but obviously the contact template should've been a databox! So I just renamed and remade Template:Contact into Template:Contact data and updated Tablet chlorinators to stop waterborne disease in Haiti to make use of it. We may need to talk about what to do with pages that have multiple contact details (there're a few of those) but in any case I think it's quite clear that this is another use case for databoxes. Also, I updated Appropedia:Toolbox with a new section for databoxes. Cheers! Sophivorus (talk) 17:49, 30 March 2021 (UTC)

Infobox project errors[edit source]

@Sophivorus: No rush on this, I imagine it is being debugged but just in case, I found two of them: (1) items on the 'keywords' and 'authors' mix together into authors. For example, I ended up with this after editing with the form: |authors=playground, Fabio López, Rafael Machado. (2) the 'ported from' field doesn't form external links correctly.—Emilio (talk) 23:42, 30 March 2021 (UTC)

Fixed! Sophivorus (talk) 19:13, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

"Back to course home" link or button on Template:Infobox medical skill[edit source]

@Sophivorus, Mhanifw: One of the feedback from the NREMT course was that students find it hard to go back to where they started when reviewing the course content. One way to solve this is to have a "go back home" link, perhaps after "About this medical skill". —Emilio (talk) 18:59, 19 April 2021 (UTC)

@Emilio @Mhanifw Done! I called the field "part-of" to try to keep it generic, but if a more specific name be required or desired, just let me know. See Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Patient Handoff as an example of a skill page and a knowledge page that are part of the NREMT Skillset course and link to it. Also see the "Edit with form" button for the editable interface. Cheers! Sophivorus (talk) 19:43, 19 April 2021 (UTC)
@Sophivorus: Thanks a lot! @GSTC, Mhanifw: Hi, please let us know your thoughts! —Emilio (talk) 23:16, 20 April 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio @Sophivorus Despite it might be a little redundant with the banner, I think this direction is helpful since infobox is more intuitive than looking at the banner. I wonder if it could be even more helpful if we link it to the relevant syllabus instead? e.g. for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), instead "Part of NREMT Skillset", we put "Part of NREMT Skillset - Fundamentals" Mhanifw (talk) 14:54, 22 April 2021 (UTC)

Add dropdown options to some databox options[edit source]

@Sophivorus, Lonny: One example that Lonny pointed out was Status. Is it possible to show these options when filling them out? —Emilio (talk) 23:14, 20 April 2021 (UTC)

@Emilio @Lonny Hi! Unfortunately this isn't possible yet, but there's work being done on this front so I'm optimistic we'll have this feature eventually, see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T271825 Sophivorus (talk) 11:19, 21 April 2021 (UTC)

Multiple video annotations[edit source]

Please see FiltAirs DIY air filter#Assembly and FiltAirs DIY air filter#Usage and how multiple videos are being used as part of the documentation. Is there any possible way to make both annotations work independently? If not, what is the best way to tell our users about this limitation?—Emilio (talk) 17:46, 26 April 2021 (UTC)

@Emilio Done! I just finished improving the relevant video script at MediaWiki:Common.js. Now if you visit the videos you linked and click on the anchors, they should work fine. The only limitation to the new system is that you cannot link from other pages to videos other than the first. For example FiltAirs DIY air filter#0:20 will jump to 0:20 of the first video and there's no way to jump to 0:20 of the second video. However I think this is a very minor limitation that few if any users will miss, and adding it would require complications to the UX, so I wouldn't implement it unless it becomes necessary. Cheers! Sophivorus (talk) 15:53, 27 April 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio I just restored the new version of the video script, after fixing the GSTC bug. Now, if a time anchor is not in the "description" field of the Template:Video (like in GSTC pages) then the script will infer that the anchor refers to the first video in the page. Sophivorus (talk) 20:24, 29 April 2021 (UTC)

Search errors[edit source]

I feel like our search in broken in some unique ways. Please let me know if you have questions on the errors shown below or feedback on what is going on or how to fix it.

--Lonny (talk) 04:18, 28 April 2021 (UTC)

Hi, just to clarify: other than Zane 2021 (I suppose it's not a project per se), should the other searches lead to Snowboard benches and Zane middle school math path? Emilio (talk) 04:28, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
I would expect searching for Zane 2021 or Zane middle school math path to find this page Zane Middle School math path 2021. Also, when searching for numbers, weird numbers are suggested instead.
I would expect snowboard benches to find Zane Middle School snowboard benches.
Instead these searches are finding other pages. Maybe it is due to these pages being relatively new. Have we changed our engine to be based on google or a cache instead of our own db? --Lonny (talk) 04:40, 28 April 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio It looks like the issue only affects new pages (search for example "multijunction photovoltaic"). This suggests that the problem is that the search index is not updating. I tried rebuilding the search index but no luck. I guess that script rebuilds the search index used by the default MediaWiki search engine, but we're currently using ElasticSearch + CirrusSearch. The CirrusSearch extension includes a maintenance folder with several maintenance scripts, one of which may help, but there's no obvious one to me, and in any case one thing is to manually update the index, and another is to ensure it updates itself in the future. Since Ike set up the search engine and he's currently doing some work for Appropedia, maybe it's most efficient to ask him to take a look? Sophivorus (talk) 19:59, 29 April 2021 (UTC)
@Emilio, Please do that. New editors lose their page and can't find it when searching. They often don't know they could look in their contributions and think they lost their page when it doesn't show up in search. --Lonny (talk) 21:09, 30 April 2021 (UTC)

No more than 9 items in a BOM[edit source]

I can't get more than 9 items to load in the BOM table. See the source below for a tenth thing that doesn't show up.

Item Amount Cost per unit Total
First thing — Get at the thing store 3 USD 5.75 USD 17.25
Second thing — 3' x 2', yellow 1 USD 150.00 USD 150.00
Third thing — 3' x 2', yellow 1 USD 150.00 USD 150.00
Fourth thing — 3' x 2', yellow 1 USD 150.00 USD 150.00
Fifth thing — 3' x 2', yellow 1 USD 150.00 USD 150.00
Sixth thing — 3' x 2', yellow 1 USD 150.00 USD 150.00
Seventh thing — 3' x 2', yellow 1 USD 150.00 USD 150.00
eighth thing — 3' x 2', yellow 1 USD 150.00 USD 150.00
ninth thing — 3' x 2', yellow 1 USD 150.00 USD 150.00
tenth thing - This one isn't showing up — 3' x 2', yellow 1 USD 150.00 USD 150.00
Grand total USD 1,367.25

--Lonny (talk) 04:24, 28 April 2021 (UTC)

@Lonny Hi! I just extended support for up to 30 items. Let me know if you ever need more! Sophivorus (talk) 19:29, 29 April 2021 (UTC)
Thanks! Lonny (talk) 21:09, 30 April 2021 (UTC)

Video with timestamp bot fix problem[edit source]

It looks like the bot that fixes video links might have a bug. See https://www.appropedia.org/w/index.php?title=How_to_make_Block_Fill&type=revision&diff=496894&oldid=440466 for an embedded video that I had to 'fix' so that the video worked. Currently it no longer links to a specific timestamp in the video, but the video does show up. --Lonny (talk)

@Lonny: I just did a search for similar errors, found two and fixed them. There're probably no more. :-) Thanks for noticing! Sophivorus (talk) 17:30, 3 May 2021 (UTC)
Great. Thanks! Lonny (talk) 18:30, 3 May 2021 (UTC)

Wrong link from visual editor to MediaWiki VE help[edit source]

A person noted that there is a forwarding error on the visual editor link. here is a possible solution but I didn't want to edit it without asking first. —Emilio (talk) 22:30, 3 May 2021 (UTC)