Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Applications of Open Source GMAW-Based Metal 3-D Printing
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Pearce Publications By Topic: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
- Yuenyong Nilsiam, Paul Sanders, and Joshua M. Pearce. Applications of Open Source GMAW-Based Metal 3-D Printing. Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing 2018, 2(1), 18; doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/jmmp2010018 open access
- These 3-D models as STL files can be found at https://osf.io/bbbtd
The metal 3-D printing market is currently dominated by high-end applications, which make it inaccessible for small and medium enterprises, fab labs, and individual makers who are interested in the ability to prototype and additively manufacture final products in metal. Recent progress led to low-cost open-source metal 3-D printers using a gas metal arc welding (GMAW)-based print head. This reduced the cost of metal 3-D printers into the range of desktop prosumer polymer 3-D printers. Consequent research established good material properties of metal 3-D printed parts with readily-available weld filler wire, reusable substrates, thermal and stress properties, toolpath planning, bead-width control, mechanical properties, and support for overhangs. These previous works showed that GMAW-based metal 3-D printing has a good adhesion between layers and is not porous inside the printed parts, but they did not proceed far enough to demonstrate applications. In this study, the utility of the GMAW approach to 3-D printing is investigated using a low-cost open-source metal 3-D printer and a converted Computer Numerical Control router machine to make useful parts over a range of applications including: fixing an existing part by adding a 3-D metal feature, creating a product using the substrate as part of the component, 3-D printing in high resolution of useful objects, near net objects, and making an integrated product using a combination of steel and polymer 3-D printing. The results show that GMAW-based 3-D printing is capable of distributed manufacturing of useful products for a wide variety of applications for sustainable development.
3-D printing, gas metal arc weld, GMAW, metal inert gas welding, MIG welding, additive manufacturing;metal printing;open-source hardware; RepRap; welder;welding; Metal 3-D printing, Low cost metal 3-D printer, Open-source metal 3-D printer, GMAW 3-D printing
- Open-source metal 3-D printer
- Integrated Voltage—Current Monitoring and Control of Gas Metal Arc Weld Magnetic Ball-Jointed Open Source 3-D Printer
- Low-cost Open-Source Voltage and Current Monitor for Gas Metal Arc Weld 3-D Printing
- Slicer and process improvements for open-source GMAW-based metal 3-D printing
- MOST open-source metal 3-D printer v2
- Substrate Release Mechanisms for Gas Metal Arc Weld 3D Aluminum Metal Printing - how to get your print off the substrate with a hammer
- In Situ Formation of Substrate Release Mechanisms for Gas Metal Arc Weld Metal 3-D Printing
- Open-source Lab
- Open source 3-D printing of OSAT
- Applications of Open Source 3-D Printing on Small Farms
- Building research equipment with free, open-source hardware
- Delft University of Technology - MIG+ Prusa I3
- Weld 3D - 1st commercial spin off
- see literature on "wire arc additive manufacturing" (WAAM)
- Open Source Advocate Dr. Joshua Pearce Publishes Paper on Inexpensive GMAW Metal 3D Printing 3D Print, Bad Blue Tech
- Michigan Tech engineers develop open-source GMAW metal 3D printer for only $1,200 3Ders, Tux Machines, FutureLab 3D
- La stampante 3D in metallo GMAW tecnologia di stampa 3D in metallo a basso costo e open source Stampare in 3D
|This page is part of an international project to use RepRap 3-D printing to make OSAT for sustainable development. Learn more.
Research: Open source 3-D printing of OSAT • RecycleBot • LCA of home recycling • Green Distributed Recycling • Ethical Filament • LCA of distributed manufacturing • RepRap LCA Energy and CO2 • Solar-powered RepRaps • solar powered recyclebot • Feasibility hub • Mechanical testing • RepRap printing protocol: MOST• Lessons learned • MOST RepRap Build • MOST Prusa Build • MOST HS RepRap build • RepRap Print Server