Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Pearce publications in sustainable development and open source appropriate technology
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Pearce Publications: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
- Joshua M. Pearce and David C. Denkenberger. A National Pragmatic Safety Limit for Nuclear Weapon Quantities. Safety 2018, 4(2), 25; https://doi.org/10.3390/safety4020025 open access
- David C. Denkenberger and and Joshua M. Pearce. Design Optimization of Polymer Heat Exchanger for Automated Household-Scale Solar Water Pasteurizer. Designs 2018, 2(2), 11; doi:10.3390/designs2020011 open access
- Joshua Pearce. How to make a 3-D printed corn sheller. Chap. 4 Do It Yourself Guides to Food Production. Engineering for the Change, 2018.
- Joshua M. Pearce. Chapter 21 - Open-source 3D printing. in Managing Humanitarian Innovation: The cutting edge of aid, Editors: Eric James and Abigail Taylor, 2018, Practical Action Publishing. eISBN: 978-178044-953-1 | ISBN: 978-185339-953-4 doi:https://doi.org/10.3362/9781780449531.021
- Yuenyong Nilsiam, Paul Sanders, and Joshua M. Pearce. Applications of Open Source GMAW-Based Metal 3-D Printing. Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing 2018, 2(1), 18; doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/jmmp2010018 open access
- Benjamin L. Savonen, Tobias J. Mahan, Maxwell W. Curtis, Jared W. Schreier, John K. Gershenson and Joshua M. Pearce. Development of a Resilient 3-D Printer for Humanitarian Crisis Response. Technologies 2018, 6(1), 30; doi:10.3390/technologies6010030 open access
- David C. Denkenberger & Joshua M. Pearce. Cost-effectiveness of interventions for alternate food in the United States to address agricultural catastrophes. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 27 (2018), pp. 278-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2017.10.014 open access
- Prannay R. Malu, Utkarsh S. Sharma, Joshua M. Pearce. Agrivoltaic potential on grape farms in India. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments 23, pp. 104-110, 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.seta.2017.08.004 open access
- Shan Zhong, Pratiksha Rakhe and Joshua M. Pearce. Energy Payback Time of a Solar Photovoltaic Powered Waste Plastic Recyclebot System. Recycling 2017, 2(2), 10; doi: 10.3390/recycling2020010 open access
- Tanikella, N.G., Savonen, B., Gershenson, J., Pearce, J.M. (2017). Viability of Distributed Manufacturing of Bicycle Components with 3-D Printing: CEN Standardized Polylactic Acid Pedal Testing. Journal of Humanitarian Engineering 5(1), 8-17. open access
- Michaels, R.E. and Pearce, J.M. (2017). 3-D printing open-source click-MUAC bands for identification of malnutrition. Public Health Nutrition, pp.1–4. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980017000726 open access
- Jephias Gwamuri, Jill Poliskey and Joshua Pearce, 2017. Open Source 3-D Printers: An Appropriate Technology for Developing Communities. 7th International Conference on Appropriate Technology (7th ICAT): Sustainable Technologies to Empower Communities – Bridging Theory and Practice, At Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, Volume: 7th. open access
- David C. Denkenberger, D. Dorothea Cole, Mohamed Abdelkhaliq, Michael Griswold, Allen B. Hundley, Joshua M. Pearce. Feeding Everyone if the Sun is Obscured and Industry is Disabled. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 21, (2017), 284–290. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2016.12.018 open access
- B.T. Wittbrodt & J.M. Pearce. 3-D printing solar photovoltaic racking in developing world. Energy for Sustainable Development 36, pp. 1-5 (2017). DOI:10.1016/j.esd.2016.08.001 open access
- Denkenberger, D.C. & Pearce, J.M. Cost-Effectiveness of Interventions for Alternate Food to Address Agricultural Catastrophes Globally. International Journal of Disaster Risk Science 7 (3), 205-215 (2016). doi:10.1007/s13753-016-0097-2 open access
- Deborah Cole, Mohamed Abdelkhaliq, Michael Griswold, David Denkenberger, Joshua M. Pearce. Feeding Everyone if Industry is Disabled. International Disaster and Risk Conferences (IDRC) Conference Proceedings 2016, Davos, Switzerland. pp. 141-146 (2016). open access
- Mohamed Abdelkhaliq, Michael Griswold, Deborah Cole, David Denkenberger, Joshua M. Pearce, Providing Non-food Needs if Industry is Disabled. International Disaster and Risk Conferences (IDRC) Conference Proceedings 2016, Davos, Switzerland. pp. 23-27 (2016). open access
- Michael Griswold, Mohamed Abdelkhaliq, Deborah Cole, David Denkenberger, Joshua M. Pearce, A. Ray Taylor Vitamins in Agricultural Catastrophes.International Disaster and Risk Conferences (IDRC) Conference Proceedings 2016, Davos, Switzerland. pp. 252-256 (2016). open access
- A. L. Ray Taylor, David Denkenberger, Joshua M. Pearce. Integrative Risk Management for abrupt catastrophes destroying 10%-20% of global food supply. International Disaster and Risk Conferences (IDRC) Conference Proceedings 2016, Davos, Switzerland. open access
- Seth D. Baum, David C. Denkenberger, Joshua M. Pearce. Alternative Foods as a Solution to Global Food Supply Catastrophes, Solutions 7(4): 31-35 (2016). open access
- Jephias Gwamuri, Dhiogo Franco, Khalid Y. Khan, Lucia Gauchia and Joshua M. Pearce. High-Efficiency Solar-Powered 3-D Printers for Sustainable Development. Machines 2016, 4(1), 3; doi: 10.3390/machines4010003 open access
- Baum, S.D., Denkenberger, D.C., A Pearce, J.M., Robock, A., Winkler, R. Resilience to global food supply catastrophes. Environment, Systems and Decisions 35(2), pp 301-313 (2015). open access DOI: 10.1007/s10669-015-9549-2
- Pearce, J.M.(2015). Applications of Open Source 3-D Printing on Small Farms. Organic Farming 1(1), 19-35. DOI:10.12924/of2015.01010019 open access
- J.M. Pearce and D. Denkenberger, “Aligning Executive Incentives with Global Public Health Goals” Progress in Health Sciences 5(2), 16-23 (2015). open access
- Emily J. Hunt, Chenlong Zhang, Nick Anzalone, Joshua M. Pearce, Polymer recycling codes for distributed manufacturing with 3-D printers, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 97, pp. 24-30 (2015). DOI:10.1016/j.resconrec.2015.02.004 open access
|David Denkenberger and Joshua Pearce, Feeding Everyone No Matter What: Managing Food Security After Global Catastrophe , 1st Edition, Academic Press, San Diego (2015).|
- Denkenberger, D. C., & Pearce, J. M. (2014). Feeding Everyone: Solving the Food Crisis in Event of Global Catastrophes that Kill Crops or Obscure the Sun. Futures. (in press) [open access soon]
- J. Gwamuri, B. T. Wittbrodt, N. C. Anzalone, J.M. Pearce. “Reversing the Trend of Large Scale and Centralization in Manufacturing: The Case of Distributed Manufacturing of Customizable 3-D-Printable Self-Adjustable Glasses”, Challenges in Sustainability 2(1), pp. 30-40 (2014). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12924/cis2014.02010030 open access
- Debbie L. King, Adegboyega Babasola, Joseph Rozario, and Joshua M. Pearce, “Mobile Open-Source Solar-Powered 3-D Printers for Distributed Manufacturing in Off-Grid Communities,” Challenges in Sustainability 2(1), 18-27 (2014). open access
- Feeley, S. R., Wijnen, B., & Pearce, J. M. (2014). Evaluation of Potential Fair Trade Standards for an Ethical 3-D Printing Filament. Journal of Sustainable Development, 7(5), 1-12. DOI: 10.5539/jsd.v7n5p1 open access
- Brittney Dawney, Cheng Cheng, Richelle Winkler, Joshua M. Pearce. Evaluating the geographic viability of the solar water disinfection (SODIS) method by decreasing turbidity with NaCl: A case study of South Sudan. Applied Clay Science 99:194–200 (2014). open access DOI: 10.1016/j.clay.2014.06.032
- I. Zelenika and J.M.Pearce “Innovation Through Collaboration: Scaling up Technological Solutions for Sustainable Development”, Environment, Development and Sustainability (in press). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10668-014-9528-7
- Joshua M. Pearce, “Technology whose time has come" Physics World 27(1), pp.33-37, 2014. open access
| Joshua M. Pearce, “Free and Open Source Appropriate Technology” in Martin Parker, George Cheney, Valerie Fournier and Chris Land (Eds.) Routledge Companion to Alternative Organisation, pp. 308-328, 2014.
- Christian Baechler, Matthew DeVuono, and Joshua M. Pearce, “Distributed Recycling of Waste Polymer into RepRap Feedstock” Rapid Prototyping Journal 19(2), pp. 118-125 (2013). open access
- Nicole C. McDonald & Joshua M. Pearce, Community Voices: Perspectives on Renewable Energy in Nunavut, Arctic 66(1), pp. 94-104 (2013). open access
- I. Zelenika and J. M. Pearce, “The Internet and other ICTs as Tools and Catalysts for Sustainable Development: Innovation for 21st Century”, Information Development 29(3) pp. 217 - 232 (2013).
- Nicole C. McDonald & Joshua M. Pearce, “Renewable Energy Policies and Programs in Nunavut: Perspectives from the Federal and Territorial Governments”, Arctic 65(4), pp.465-475 (2012). open access
- J. M. Pearce, S. Albritton, G. Grant, G. Steed, and I. Zelenika, “A new model for enabling innovation in appropriate technology for sustainable development”, Sustainability: Science, Practice & Policy 8(2), pp. 42-53, 2012.
- B. Dawney and J.M. Pearce “Optimizing Solar Water Disinfection (SODIS) Method by Decreasing Turbidity with NaCl”, The Journal of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene for Development 2(2) pp. 87-94 (2012). open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, “The Case for Open Source Appropriate Technology”, Environment, Development and Sustainability, 14, pp. 425-431 (2012). open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, “What Hackers Can Teach Academics: Open Source Research in Applied Sustainability”, Proceedings of the 9th Ball State University Greening of the Campus Conference, 18-21 March, 2012.
| Usman Mushtaq and Joshua M. Pearce “Open Source Appropriate Nanotechnology ” Chapter 9 in editors Donald Maclurcan and Natalia Radywyl, Nanotechnology and Global Sustainability, CRC Press, pp. 191-213, 2012.
| Joshua M. Pearce in Gupta, V. (Ed). The Future We Deserve: 100 Visions of the Future, Pediapress. Open access
- I. Zelenika and J.M. Pearce, “Barriers to Appropriate Technology Growth in Sustainable Development”, Journal of Sustainable Development 4(6), 12-22 (2011). open access
- Fatima Hashmi and Joshua M. Pearce, “Viability of Small-Scale Arsenic-Contaminated Water Purification Technologies for Sustainable Development in Pakistan”, Sustainable Development, 19(4), pp. 223-234, 2011. open access
- Ivana Zelenika-Zovko and Joshua M. Pearce, “Examining Social Barriers to Open Source Appropriate Technology and Innovation through Collaboration with Information and Communication Technology”, 17th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Conference pp.507-508, 2011. open access
|Ha T. Nguyen and Joshua M. Pearce, “Community-scale Wind-powered Desalination for Selected Coastal Mekong Provinces in Vietnam” in M.A. Stewart and P.A. Coclanis (eds.), Environmental Change and Agricultural Sustainability in the Mekong Delta Advances in Global Change Research 2011, Volume 45, Part 4, 371-398, Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2011.|
- N.C. McDonald and J.M. Pearce “Overcoming Barriers for Reduction in Diesel Dependency with Renewable Energy Technologies in Nunavut”, Arctic Net 2010, Abstract. pp. 142-143 (2010).
- J. M Pearce, C. Morris Blair, K. J. Laciak, R. Andrews, A. Nosrat and I. Zelenika-Zovko, “3-D Printing of Open Source Appropriate Technologies for Self-Directed Sustainable Development”, Journal of Sustainable Development 3(4), pp. 17-29 (2010). open access
- H. T. Nguyen and J.M. Pearce, “Renewable Powered Desalination in Coastal Mekong Delta”, Proceedings of the 4th ASME Conference on Energy Sustainability, Paper no. ES2010-90224, pp. 935-946 (2010).
- A. J. Buitenhuis, I. Zelenika and J. M. Pearce, “Open Design-Based Strategies to Enhance Appropriate Technology Development”, Proceedings of the 14th Annual National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference : Open, March 25-27th 2010, pp. 1-12. open access
- Dirk V. P. McLaughlin, Nicole C. McDonald, Ha T. Nguyen and J. M. Pearce, “Leveraging Photovoltaic Technology for Sustainable Development in Ontario's First Nations Communities”, Journal of Sustainable Development 3(3), pp. 3-13, 2010. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce and Usman Mushtaq, “Overcoming Technical Constraints for Obtaining Sustainable Development with Open Source Appropriate Technology”, Science and Technology for Humanity (TIC-STH), 2009 IEEE Toronto International Conference, pp. 814-820, 26-27 Sept. 2009. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Appropedia as a Tool for Service Learning in Sustainable Development", Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 3(1), pp.47-55, 2009. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, Lonny Grafman, Thomas Colledge, and Ryan Legg, "Leveraging Information Technology, Social Entrepreneurship and Global Collaboration for Just Sustainable Development" Proceedings of the 12th;Annual National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference, pp. 201- 210, 2008. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce and David C. Denkenberger, "Numerical Simulation of the Direct Application of Compound Parabolic Concentrators to a Single Effect Basin Solar Still", Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference of Solar Cooking and Food Processing, p. 118, 2006. open access
- David C. Denkenberger and Joshua M. Pearce, "Compound Parabolic Concentrators for Solar Water Heat Pasteurization: Numerical Simulation", Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference of Solar Cooking and Food Processing, p. 108, 2006. open access