Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Pearce publications in energy policy and sustainability policy
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Pearce Publications: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
- Groesbeck, J.G., Pearce, J.M., 2018. Coal with Carbon Capture and Sequestration is not as Land Use Efficient as Solar Photovoltaic Technology for Climate Neutral Electricity Production. Scientific Reports 8, 13476. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-31505-3 open access
- Chiara Modanese, Hannu S. Laine, Toni P. Pasanen, Hele Savin and Joshua M. Pearce. Economic Advantages of Dry-Etched Black Silicon in Passivated Emitter Rear Cell (PERC) Photovoltaic Manufacturing. Energies 2018, 11(9), 2337; https://doi.org/10.3390/en11092337 open access
- R. Krishnan and J. M. Pearce. Economic impact of substituting solar photovoltaic electric production for tobacco farming. Land Use Policy, 72, (2018), pp. 503–509. doi: 10.1016/j.landusepol.2018.01.010 open access
- Chelsea Schelly, Edward P. Louie, Joshua M. Pearce. Examining interconnection and net metering policy for distributed generation in the United States. Renewable Energy Focus 22–23, (2017), pp. 10–19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ref.2017.09.002 free open access
- Cleyton M. Cavallaro, Joshua M. Pearce, and Roman Sidortsov, Decarbonizing the boardroom? Aligning electric utility executive compensation with climate change incentives. Energy Research & Social Science 37 (2018) pp. 153–162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2017.09.036 open access
- Ram Krishnan, Amber Haselhuhn, Joshua M. Pearce Technical Solar Photovoltaic Potential of Scaled Parking Lot Canopies- A Case Study of Walmart U.S.A. RISUS - Journal on Innovation and Sustainability 8(2) - 2017 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.24212/2179-3565.2017v8i2p104-125 open access
- Emily W. Prehoda, Chelsea Schelly, Joshua M. Pearce. 2017. U.S. Strategic Solar Photovoltaic-Powered Microgrid Deployment for Enhanced National Security. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 78, 167–175. DOI:10.1016/j.rser.2017.04.094 open access
- Edward P. Louie and Joshua M. Pearce. Retraining Investment for U.S. Transition from Coal to Solar Photovoltaic Employment. Energy Economics. 57,295–302 (2016). doi:10.1016/j.eneco.2016.05.016 free open access pre-print.
- Aishwarya S. Mundada, , Yuenyong Nilsiam , Joshua M. Pearce. A review of technical requirements for plug-and-play solar photovoltaic microinverter systems in the United States. Solar Energy 135, (2016), pp. 455–470. doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2016.06.002 open access
- Abhilash Kantamneni, Richelle Winkler, Lucia Gauchia, Joshua M. Pearce, Emerging economic viability of grid defection in a northern climate using solar hybrid systems. Energy Policy 95, 378–389 (2016). doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2016.05.013 free open access
- Aishwarya Mundada, Kunal Shah, Joshua M. Pearce. Levelized cost of electricity for solar photovoltaic, battery and cogen hybrid systems, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 57, (2016), 692–703. open access
- Negin Heidari & Joshua M. Pearce. A Review of Greenhouse Gas Emission Liabilities as the Value of Renewable Energy for Mitigating Lawsuits for Climate Change Related Damages. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 55C (2016) pp. 899-908. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2015.11.025 open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, “Reducing the Threat of a Nuclear Iran with Photovoltaic Technology: The Generous Solar Option”, Peace Studies Journal 8(1), pp. 50-54 (2015). open access
- T. Alafita and J.M. Pearce, "Securitization of residential solar photovoltaic assets: Costs, risks and uncertainty", Energy Policy, 67, pp. 488–498 (2014). open access
|Nicole C. McDonald, Ha T. Nguyen, and Joshua M. Pearce, “Technical Feasibility of Renewable Electricity Generation in Nunavut” in M.D. Tiwari, A. Vaish (Ed.), Green Energy, River Publishers: Alborg, Denmark, pp. 41-74 (2012). Available: Google Books preview|
- K. Calvert, J. M. Pearce, W.E. Mabee, “Toward renewable energy geo-information infrastructures: Applications of GIScience and remote sensing that can build institutional capacity” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 18, pp. 416–429 (2013). open access
- Nicole C. McDonald & Joshua M. Pearce, “Renewable Energy Policies and Programs in Nunavut: Perspectives from the Federal and Territorial Governments”, Arctic 65(4), pp.465-475 (2012).
- A. J. Buitenhuis and J. M. Pearce, “Open-Source Development of Solar Photovoltaic Technology”, Energy for Sustainable Development, 16, pp. 379-388 (2012). open access
- J. M. Pearce, “Limitations of Nuclear Power as a Sustainable Energy Source”, Sustainability 4(6), pp.1173-1187 (2012).
- Joshua M. Pearce, “Effective Techniques for Achieving a Solar-Powered Campus”, Proceedings of the 9th Ball State University Greening of the Campus Conference, 18-21 March, 2012.
- Kadra Branker and Joshua M. Pearce, “Accelerating the Growth of Solar Photovoltaic Deployment with Peer to Peer Financing” Solar 2011: 40th American Solar Energy Society National Solar Conference Proceedings, pp. 713-720 (2011).
- K. Branker, M. J.M. Pathak, J. M. Pearce, “A Review of Solar Photovoltaic Levelized Cost of Electricity”, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 15, pp.4470-4482 (2011). open access
- K. Branker, E. Shackles, J. M. Pearce, “Peer-to-Peer Financing Mechanisms to Accelerate Renewable Energy Deployment” The Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment 1(2), pp. 138-155 (2011). open access
- I. Zelenika-Zovko and J. M. Pearce, “Diverting Indirect Subsidies from the Nuclear Industry to the Photovoltaic Industry: Energy and Economic Returns”, Energy Policy 39, pp. 2626–2632 (2011). open access
- Joshua Pearce, “The Risks of Politicizing Energy: Nuclear vs Solar”InterPV May 2011, pp. 28-30.
|Joshua M. Pearce, “Socially Responsible Investing”, in Schiffman, H. S. (Ed), Green Issues and Debates: An A-to-Z Guide, Sage Publications, Inc (June 28, 2011): Los Angeles, pp. 431-439.|
- K. Branker and J. M. Pearce, “Financial Return for Government Support of Large-Scale Thin-Film Solar Photovoltaic Manufacturing in Canada” Energy Policy 38, pp. 4291–4303 (2010). open access
- N. C. McDonald and J. M. Pearce, “Producer Responsibility and Recycling Solar Photovoltaic Modules”, Energy Policy 38, pp. 7041–7047(2010). open access
- R. Kenny, C. Law, J.M. Pearce, “Towards Real Energy Economics: Energy Policy Driven by Life-Cycle Carbon Emission”, Energy Policy 38, pp. 1969–1978, 2010. open access
- J.M. Pearce, “Increasing PV Velocity by Reinvesting the Nuclear Energy Insurance Subsidy into Large Scale Solar Photovoltaic Production”, Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), 2009 34th IEEE, pp.1338-1343, 7-12 June 2009. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, Anna L. Santini, and Jennifer M. Desilva, “Solar Photovoltaic Energy for Mitigation of Climate Change: A Catalytic Application of Catholic Social Thought”, Worldviews, Volume 13(1), pp. 92-118, 2009. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Electric Rates and Fixed Charges: How US Utilities Suppress Distributed Generation", Cogeneration & Onsite Power Production, Vol. 10(1) pp. 73-77, 2008.
- J. M. Pearce and Paul J. Harris, "Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by inducing energy conservation and distributed generation from elimination of electric utility customer charges", Energy Policy, 35, pp. 6514-6525, 2007. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce and Jason T. Hanlon, "Energy Conservation From Systematic Tire Pressure Regulation", Energy Policy, 35(4), pp. 2673-2677, 2007. open access
|Joshua M. Pearce, "Union of Concerned Scientists", and "Green Production and Industry", in Paul Robins, Editor, Encyclopedia of Environment and Society, pp. 819-820, Sage Publications, Inc., 2007.|
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Catalyzing Mass Production of Solar Photovoltaic Cells Using University Driven Green Purchasing", International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 7(4), pp. 425 - 436, 2006. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Using the Internet to Reduce Market Risk for Alternative Energy Sources: The Case of Large-Scale Solar Photovoltaic Production", First Monday, 10(8), 2005.
- Joshua Pearce and Christopher Uhl, "Getting It Done: Effective Sustainable Policy Implementation at the University Level", Planning for Higher Education, 31(3), 53-61, 2003. open access
- Joshua Pearce, "Photovoltaics - A Path to Sustainable Futures", Futures 34(7), 663-674, 2002.flash open access
- Joshua Pearce, "Rectifying Myths Related to Solar Energy", Innovations and Materials for Green Engineering Vol. 3, eds. A. Lakhtakia and C.E. Bakis, Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics, Pennsylvania State University College of Engineering, pp. 67 - 88, June 2001.