Add your voice to our December Thunderclap for the new Rainwater Book
Mechanical testing of polymer components made with the RepRap 3-D printer
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
|This page is part of an international project to use RepRap 3-D printing to make OSAT for sustainable development. Learn more.
Research: Open source 3-D printing of OSAT • RecycleBot • LCA of home recycling • Green Distributed Recycling • Ethical Filament • LCA of distributed manufacturing • RepRap LCA Energy and CO2 • Solar-powered RepRaps • solar powered recyclebot • Feasibility hub • Mechanical testing • RepRap printing protocol: MOST• Lessons learned • MOST RepRap Build • MOST Prusa Build • MOST HS RepRap build • RepRap Print Server
The purpose of this project is to determine mechanical properties of polymer components printed with the open source RepRap Mendel 3-D printer. Standard test methods are to be used to gather accurate and acceptable test data. The results of the mechanical testing will be used for engineering analysis of parts designed to be created with the RepRap.
The results are published here: B.M. Tymrak, M. Kreiger, J. M. Pearce, Mechanical properties of components fabricated with open-source 3-D printers under realistic environmental conditions, Materials & Design, 58, pp. 242-246 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.02.038. open access
Detailed coverage here:
- Mechanical Properties of Components Fabricated with Open-Source 3-D Printers Under Realistic Environmental Conditions
- The Effects of PLA Color on Material Properties of 3-D Printed Components
- Tensile Strength of Commercial Polymer Materials for Fused Filament Fabrication 3-D Printing
ASTM D638-10 Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics
Printer settings to test
All g-code will be generated using Slic3r software from http://slic3r.org/
|Layer Height||0.4mm, 0.3mm, 0.2mm|
|Fill Angle||0, 45|
|Solid Fill Pattern||Rectilinear|
- MTS Test System in M&M 413
- MTS Testworks Software on test machine computer
- Epsilon Technology 3542-0200-050-ST Extensometer
Specimen to Test
ie. (3-90-100-1 MTU) for 0.3 LH, 90 deg Fill Orientation, 100% Fill, Print #1, at MTU
- 3 layer heights - .2, .3, .4; orientations 45, 90; 12 testing conditions; 10X each; 120 total tests.....
- 0.4mm 90 deg (10 printed) 45 deg (10 printed)
- 0.3mm 90 deg (10 printed) 45 deg (10 printed)
- 0.2mm 90 deg (10 printed) 45 deg (10 printed)
- 0.4mm 90 deg (10 printed) 45 deg (0 printed)
- 0.3mm 90 deg (0 printed) 45 deg (0 printed)
- 0.2mm 90 deg (0 printed) 45 deg (0 printed)
- Mechanical testing of 3D printed metal parts
- For electrical testing and for thermal conductivity :disc 2.5 inches in diameter that is 3.2 mm thick. 5X
- Viability of Distributed Manufacturing of Bicycle Components with 3-D Printing: CEN Standardized Polylactic Acid Pedal Testing
- RepRap Mechanical Testing Literature Review
- MOST RepRap Build
- Open source rapid prototyping of OSAT
- Life cycle analysis of distributed polymer recycling
- Applications of RepRap distributed production - literature review