Mechanical testing of polymer components made with the RepRap 3-D printer
| This page was developed by the Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab. |
and is part of our collection of Open Source Appropriate Technology on Appropedia.
Submit an OSAT design for the MOST 3-D Printers for Peace Contest and win a free 3-D printer.
|This page is part of an international project to use RepRap 3-D printing to make OSAT for sustainable development. Learn more.
Feasibility hub| Mechanical testing| MOST RepRap Build| MOST Prusa Build| Open source 3-D printing of OSAT| RecycleBot| LCA of home recycling | LCA of distributed manufacturing|RepRap printing protocol: MOST| MOST HS RepRap build | Lessons learned| RepRap Print Server
The purpose of this project is to determine mechanical properties of polymer components printed with the open source RepRap Mendel 3-D printer. Standard test methods are to be used to gather accurate and acceptable test data. The results of the mechanical testing will be used for engineering analysis of parts designed to be created with the RepRap.
 Testing Standards
ASTM D638-10 Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics
 Test Specimen
 Printer settings to test
All g-code will be generated using Slic3r software from http://slic3r.org/
|Layer Height||0.4mm, 0.3mm, 0.2mm|
|Fill Angle||0, 45|
|Solid Fill Pattern||Rectilinear|
 Test Equipment
- MTS Test System in M&M 413
- MTS Testworks Software on test machine computer
- Epsilon Technology 3542-0200-050-ST Extensometer
 Specimen to Test
 Naming Protocol
ie. (3-90-100-1 MTU) for 0.3 LH, 90 deg Fill Orientation, 100% Fill, Print #1, at MTU
 Base Testing
- 3 layer heights - .2, .3, .4; orientations 45, 90; 12 testing conditions; 10X each; 120 total tests.....
- 0.4mm 90 deg (10 printed) 45 deg (10 printed)
- 0.3mm 90 deg (10 printed) 45 deg (10 printed)
- 0.2mm 90 deg (10 printed) 45 deg (10 printed)
- 0.4mm 90 deg (10 printed) 45 deg (0 printed)
- 0.3mm 90 deg (0 printed) 45 deg (0 printed)
- 0.2mm 90 deg (0 printed) 45 deg (0 printed)
 See Also
- For electrical testing and for thermal conductivity :disc 2.5 inches in diameter that is 3.2 mm thick. 5X