|Keywords||, , ,|
|Designed in||United States|
Walnut Cracker[edit | edit source]
Project developed by [Bharath Sadashivaiah https://www.appropedia.org/User:Bsadashi]
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been prototyped.|
Abstract[edit | edit source]
- Dried nuts such as walnut are grown in countries like Brazil and India Predominantly. The farmers are usually small land owners with little to no requirement for machinery. For these small scale farmers, cracking walnut with hand crusher is a tedious task and to overcome the issues of ergonomics and usability, the following walnut cracker is designed.
- Walnut Cracker prototype
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
- PLA filament- $2
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT[edit | edit source]
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- PLA Filament
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT[edit | edit source]
- If you used special skill – link to relevant wikipedia or wikiversity articles/courses
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- From the above mentioned link of Youmagine,, Download all the STL files and print one of each stl file with infill of more than 30%.
- Time to assembly is less then 5 minutes
Steps to Construct[edit | edit source]
1. Print out the parts
2. insert the peg between press_cylinder and support_arm.
3. Insert the peg between the upper support arm and the handle.
4. Insert the last peg between the cylinder and the handle
Common Problems and Solutions[edit | edit source]
- Weld the pegs shut at the ends by using a little heat so that they stay in place.
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
- Commercially available solution cost upwards of $60.
- The cost to print this device is $2
- Saves the user anywhere between $58 to $80 and hence this device costs only about 3% of the commercially available version
- commercial model