Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Umbilical Cord Clamp
Umbilical Cord Clamps
Project developed by User:Jayantchalke
Many times people in the developing countries are faced the problem of accessing medical devices due to the unavailability/ shortage of the device or the inefficient and corrupt local import systems  Open source 3D Printing of these devices is a boon to the people in developing countries where they can print the devices and directly use in the clinics. This OpenSource Appropriate Technology used in Manufacturing Umbilical Cord Clamp is one such step in providing a relatively cheap and quick access to the medical devices in developing countries. 3D printing of Umbilical Cord clamps was initiated by Ashley Dara in Haiti where she has empowered local Haitians with the power of 3D printer and skilled them with Opensource 3D modelling software to design and explore various potentials of 3D printing opportunities in their surroundings.
Bill of Materials
- PLA Filament ~ 22$ 
- Painters Tape/ Washable Glue/ Sharp Knife
Source Code Files
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT
- MY4777/MY5777/EE4777/EE5777: Open-source 3-D printing.
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
- It takes about 30 minutes to print out the clamp
- STL file provided could be used for printing as it is. If the design somewhat needs changes as the user requires could be accessed through the provide SCAD file. The major features of the clamp are numbered as per the schematic
- After printing, clean the extra hanging plastic threads near the finger grips with a sharp knife
- Snap fit tightly the ends of the clamp in order to clamp it
Common Problems and Solutions
- If the locking end of the Clamp does not print out well, it could be adjusted by heating it just a bit and flattening it.
- A commercially available clamp cost about 1.97$ 
- Where as a 3D printed clamp requires about 10 gram of filament which cost about 0.22 $
- This accounts for savings worth 1.75$ or 88.83%
|3D Printing of Umbilical Cord Clamps in Haiti|
- web page: 3D Printing Umbilical Cord Clamps in Haiti, Makezine.com Available: http://makezine.com/2013/10/18/3d-printing-umbilical-cord-clamps-in-haiti/
|This page is a "stub" - it needs more content.
You are invited to.