Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Pipette Carousel OSAT Project
Project developed by Sam Wurst
This Open Source Appropriate Technology (OSAT) fulfills a request for pipette accessories on the "Requests for 3-D printable open source appropriate technology" Appropedia page. I chose this OSAT because sanitation in any type of healthcare situation is vital to avoid infections and disease. This carousel keeps medical and lab pipettes suspended so as not to contaminate both the area around the and the samples inside them clean and safe.
Bill of Materials
- Pipette Carousel Base - 44g PLA 3D printer filament
- Pipette Carousel Lower Layer - 24g PLA 3D printer filament
- Pipette Carousel Upper Layer - 36g PLA 3D printer filament
Unable to upload FreeCAD and stl files to Appropedia. Files can be found by selecting the following Thingiverse link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4023762.
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- 3D Printer filament
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT
I need experience using a 3D printer, CAD software (FreeCAD), and 3D object slicing software (Cura).
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
- 15% infill
- Print speed 70 mm/s (Standard speed for your printer)
- 0.25 mm layer height
- Adhere to print surface by applying a glue stick to the surface shortly before starting the print.
Estimated print time: 2 hours 42 minutes.
Estimated print time: 1 hours 23 minutes.
Estimated print time: 2 hours 10 minutes.
Assembly time: 1 minute
Common Problems and Solutions
The pieces need to be adhered to the print surface, otherwise they tend to curl up. This project is a simple print and put together.
- My Cost: 104g of PLA filament at $20/kg = $2.08
- Commercial equivalent: Heathrow Scientific Universal Carousel Pipette Stand costing $83.20 
- Monetary Savings: $81.12
- Percent Savings: 97.5%
Requests for 3-D printable open source appropriate teechnology Available: https://www.appropedia.org/Requests_for_3-D_printable_open_source_appropriate_technology