Parametric elbow splint
|Keywords||, , ,|
|Designed in||United States|
|Cost||USD $ 3.00|
Parametric Elbow Splint[edit | edit source]
Project developed by [Existential-Crisis] and [Trthibod]
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been designed but not yet tested — use at your own risk.|
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been prototyped.|
Abstract[edit | edit source]
- Paragraph description of the OSAT - why is it Appropriate? What need does it fulfil? Are there case studies you have found of a technology being used successfully?
Arm injuries are a very common occurrence, especially with children and younger adults that are working in manual labor. In order to heal the injured elbow, an elbow splint is used and these tend to vary in price -starting from $16.59  all the way up to $639.44 . A fully parametric elbow splint design was then prepared to make the healing process more affordable.
- Picture of completed print using your printer
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
- The openSCAD code that is provided on Thingiverse, link is here 
- Bracing Material -this could be anything from nylon straps to pieces of paracord.
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT[edit | edit source]
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT[edit | edit source]
All that is needed is to take the radius measurements of the elbow, the forearm, upper arm and the desired height of the splint.
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- The direction is very straightforward. Simply insert the interlocking teeth together and apply epoxy before the final press fit.
- Print time can vary anywhere between 3 hours and up to 6 hours
- Assembly time will take less than 30 minutes
Common Problems and Solutions[edit | edit source]
Make sure that you add the specified amount of space for the elbow region.
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
The total print cost is less then $3. As stated before, the cost for an elbow splint can vary from $16.59 to all the way up to $639.44. The cost savings with this product is between 82% to almost %99.5.
Benefited Internet Communities[edit | edit source]
This product was developed for the Kijenzi GGroup and it can also be used in hospitals to create quick and ergenomic splints for patients.