Open Source Camera Slider[edit | edit source]
Abstract[edit | edit source]
This camera slider is designed to give the user the ability to make astrophotography time-lapses like those used in national geographic. Time-lapse sliders usually cost over $1000.00 dollars online even though they are very simple to make.
My slider is designed with a majority of 3D printed parts, Conduit Tubing, Electronics, and a stepper motor.
Alternatives can be found here $400.00 
Expensive version $1000.00
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
- Full BOM -- Materials needed for fabrication of device and alternative materials
- open source CAD files and STLs found here 
- Glue (if desired)
- Small stepper motor $11.00
- electrical wire $1.46
- Battery holder (if desired) $2.21
- Copper Conduit $3.00 from local hardware store
- Raspberry Pi or Arduino Mega $45.00 
- Motor Controller $1.66 
- On off switch $3.00 
- Belt for driving 
- Bearings $10.00 
- Various nuts and bolts found at hardware store.
All open source CAD and STL files for 3D printing can be found here .
Tools needed[edit | edit source]
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- PLA filament
- some sort of glue to glue components together (if desired)
- Battery for Raspberry Pi and for motor
- Soldering Iron Kit
Skills and knowledge needed[edit | edit source]
The design of this aquaponics system is easy to setup, but for more knowledge on how these types of systems work here are two links to a good article and video on how they work.
Common Problems and Solutions[edit | edit source]
- Make sure that the puzzle pieces fit together properly
- Make sure that holes for water align properly so that it can flow from one block to another
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
- For all parts of this build it totals roughly $60.00. You could buy an Arduino and potentially get the cost down to $30.00
- Cost savings for the project is about $340.00 ~85-92.5%
References[edit | edit source]
I used this persons site as a place to start .They did not make the code open source, so I have to write my own which is in progress.