Inside Corner Trowel
|Description||When money is hard to come by and other tools take priority, a tool that makes a corner at a 90 degree angle is usually not high on the list of equipment to buy. I wanted to make a relatively cheap tool that can do this.|
|Keywords||, , ,|
|Countries of design|
|Estimated cost||USD $ 1.50|
|Sustainable Development Goals|
Inside Wall Corner Trowel[edit | edit source]
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been designed but not yet tested — use at your own risk.|
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been prototyped.|
Abstract[edit | edit source]
When money is hard to come by and other tools take priority, a tool that makes a corner at a 90 degree angle is usually not high on the list of equipment to buy. I wanted to make a relatively cheap tool that can do this. Normally a tool like this can go from anywhere between $10-20 but since it has a relatively small window of use, it is not often purchased. This project was designed for people that cannot afford a more expensive version of this tool as printing this in PLA is approx. $2.00
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
- Total two parts made in OpenSCAD. Total ~150 grams of filament
- Cornering Tool
- All files posted at : | Youmagine Link
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT[edit | edit source]
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT[edit | edit source]
- None, just connect the two pieces together as shown in the picture.
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- Printing Instructions:
- Print Speed : 60 mm/s
- Fill Density : 25%
- Layer Height : .15 mm
- Support Type : Touching build plate, ONLY FOR THE HANDLE
- Platform Adhesion Type : Glue stick
- Print time : ~13 Hours, 8 hours for the main part, 5 for the handle
- Assembly Instructions:
- Connect the two pieces as shown in the picture above.
- Assembly time: 1 minute
Common Problems and Solutions[edit | edit source]
- Be careful removing the main Cornering Tool piece from the glass bed. Use an exacto-knife and carefully remove to not break the glass.
- Be sure to use sufficient adhesive on the glass bed so that the main Cornering Tool piece does not have its edges bow upwards.
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
- Total Material Amount: 200 grams
- Estimated Cost: ~ $1.50 depending on filament price
- Commercial Cost: $10-20 | Home Depot's Wall Cornering Tool
- Total Savings: ~7.50
References[edit | edit source]
- I wanted to be able to provide a useful semi-luxury tool that is not 100% necessity for construction but is still used quite often to make the insides of buildings look visually appealing.
- DIY video showing how to mud and tape drywall corners