Fish Hook Extractor
|Description||It allows fisherman to spend their time more efficiently, fish for longer periods of time, catch more fish, use fewer hooks, and cut down on the risk of injury. This means more fish are being used to feed hungry people or sell/trade for economic gain.|
|Keywords||, , , ,|
|Replicated? Was this project made independently by someone other than the authors and without their guidance?|
|Countries of design|
|Estimated cost||USD $ 0.28|
|Sustainable Development Goals||
OSAT: Fish Hook Extractor Tool[edit | edit source]
Project developed by Elizabeth Held, Undergraduate Student, Electrical & Computer Engineering
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been designed but not yet tested — use at your own risk.|
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been prototyped.|
Abstract[edit | edit source]
In many parts of the world, fishing is a very large part of life, as a plentiful source of both food and income to many people. A fish hook extractor tool aids a fisherman in removing hooks from a fish's mouth with ease and speed, especially when a hook has been lodged deep within the fish or in a difficult spot to reach with one's hand. It also helps a fisherman by retrieving hooks that would have otherwise been lost to the fish. Additionally, it is an incredibly helpful tool in cold temperatures, where the fisherman will not have to remove a glove in order to remove the hook from a fish's mouth.
This tool is an OSAT, as it contributes to various sustainable development goals such as 2) Zero Hunger and 8) Decent Work & Economic Growth. It allows fisherman to spend their time more efficiently, fish for longer periods of time, catch more fish, use fewer hooks, and cut down on the risk of injury. This means more fish are being used to feed hungry people or sell/trade for economic gain.
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
- Approx. 10 g PLA filament: $0.28
- Hook extractor STL file (OpenSCAD file also available for modifications)
Youmagine Page - contains OpenSCAD and STL files
Tools Needed for Fabrication[edit | edit source]
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT[edit | edit source]
Knowledge of OpenSCAD may be helpful to modify the design in any way seen fit. Aside from this, one must simply know how to import the STL file into a slicer program and run the resulting g-code on a 3D printer of their choice.
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- The fish hook extractor requires zero assembly. Simply remove the tool from the printer when it has completed, remove all support structures created, and it will be good to go. It may help to perform some sanding/smoothing in order to make the tool more comfortable to hold and work with.
- Print time estimate: 2.5 hrs
- Assembly time: None
- Fill density: 50%
- Layer height: 0.1 mm
- Print speed: 70 mm/s
- Support/platform adhesion: None needed
Common Problems and Solutions[edit | edit source]
- Since this print is quite tall and thin, ensure that the printer will not "park" itself at too low of a position (or at all) at the end of the print. This could cause the top of the tool to become pushed in/warped.
Usage[edit | edit source]
To use this tool, thread the fishing line into the slit on either side, depending on whether the fish has a larger or smaller mouth. Follow the line into the fish's mouth with the head of the extractor until it hits the hook. While pushing forward slightly and keeping the line taut, twist the extractor until the fish hook has been disgorged. Pull the entire device out of the fish's mouth, hook and all!
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
- Estimated cost: ~$0.28
- Commercial equivalent: $2.19 at Bass Pro Shops
- $ savings = $1.91 per tool
- % savings = 87%
References[edit | edit source]
- Web page: Bass Pro Shops Fish Hook Disgorger (2006) Available: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Fish-Hook-Disgorger/product/31852/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions
- Web video: Hookout Fish Holder (2015) Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VSIJ_E2n1A