Ergonomic bike grips
|Keywords||, , ,|
|Cost||USD $ 3.75|
|Sustainable Development Goals|
Ergonomic Bike Grips[edit | edit source]
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been designed but not yet tested — use at your own risk.|
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been prototyped.|
Abstract[edit | edit source]
Bicycles are a mode of transportation used throughout the world. There are 3 pieces of a bicycle that interact with the users. They are the seat, handlebar grips, and pedals. I set out to design and improve the bike grips that attach to the handlebars. I based my design off of Ergon GP1 Grips to be easily printed out of TPU or any other flexible filament. I believe this is appropriate for any user that has access to a 3D printer from people in 3rd world countries that use their bike out of necessity to someone that uses their bike for entertainment. This fulfills the need for a comfortable cheap alternative for current bike grips on the market. Below is a picture of the bike grips attached to a set of standard handlebars.
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
- TPU printer filament or other flexible material
- Super Glue (optional)
Files[edit | edit source]
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- Use TPU Filament or other flexible printing material
- Print at 20% Infill
- Estimated Print Time 4hrs per grip (8 hrs total)
- Assembly time is less than 60 seconds.
Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- After printing take grips and push them onto the bike handlebars. Make sure the bumped piece is facing towards you as shown in the picture below.
- Add superglue before pushing on if desired.
Common Problems and Solutions[edit | edit source]
- NOTE Bike grips are designed to be press fit on standard mountain bike handlebars (22.2mm diameter)
- Bike grips too loose. Open FreeCAD document and change hole diameter
- Bike Grips too tight. Open FreeCAD document and change hole diameter
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
- Print Material Cost $3.75
- Ergon GP1 Grips $22.50
- Money savings of $18.75 or over 88%