Brake Calipers are an important component required to build a bicycle. In order to build a cheaper, open source, bicycle, the calipers can be printed and fitted with brake pads. Open source bicycles could reduce the cost of transportation for people that cannot afford to buy a commercial bicycle. This project can be combined with others to make a largely cheaper and printable bicycle.
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
(Makes Two Calipers)
- 2x Commercial Brake Pads Cost = $4.98
- 8x M6x1 Torx Bolts Cost = $0.63
- 8x M6 Nuts Cost = $0.04
- 8x M6 Washers Cost = $0.05
- 1x Brake Line Guide Cost = $1.59 (For two)
Tools needed[edit | edit source]
Skills and knowledge needed[edit | edit source]
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
(I do not currently have all the necessary materials so they will not all be shown here. I will update this in the future if I get a chance to actually implement it.)
Print time = 3 hours per caliper. 6 hours total
Assembly time = approximately 15 minutes
- Remove parts from the print bed
- Attach the base of the calipers to the fork of the bicycle with bolts.
- Use a washer on the far side before putting the nut on.
- Install brake pads into inward facing cylinders.
- Connect the cable guide receiver to the right caliper with a bolt.
- Put the cable guide into the receiver.
- Run a bolt backwards through the top of the left caliper.
- Add a washer and screw the nut most of the way on.
- Adjust the brakes so there is only a small clearance (~3mm) between the brake pads and the wheel wall.
- Wrap the brake cable around the bolt underneath the washer.
- Tighten the nut down to secure the brake cable.
Common Problems and Solutions[edit | edit source]
- Brake line comes loose
- Ensure that the bolts are still properly tightened every few weeks
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
- Total Cost (two calipers) = $19.60
- Commercial Component Cost = $17.31
- Plastic Cost - 99.4g (49.7 each) at $23/kg = $2.29
- |Commercial Calipers
- $16-$40 each
- $32-$40 for two
- $12.4 - $20.4 savings for two calipers
- 38.75% - 51% savings
References[edit | edit source]