New book - 'Building a Better World in Your Backyard' - on Kickstarter (sponsored friend)
Appropedia:What Appropedia is not
(Redirected from Appropedia:NOT)
- This is a proposed Appropedia policy. You can , or discuss it on the talk page or at the Appropedia policy discussion page.
- For now, this should be considered an essay by one or more Appropedians, and not as a policy or guideline.
Appropedia is not:
- An encyclopedia. Appropedia accepts a very wide range of material, and we're not trying to compete with Wikipedia. We don't copy entire Wikipedia articles here. The focus here is different from Wikipedia. If a page develops here that meets all of Wikipedia's criteria - that's excellent. But it's also okay if some detailed information from Wikipedia doesn't get repeated here, especially if it's not quite our focus. E.g. we're very interested in the ideas and designs of E.F. Schumacher, Amy Smith and George Washington Carver, but not nearly as interested in their exact birth dates, middle names or minor biographical details. (Those things are not bad - they're just not what we're focused on.)
- A soapbox. If you have a strong agenda (other than simply believing that sustainability and development are good things), and are not willing to respect a neutral point of view, then a blog, a personal website or a campaign or issues oriented wiki (such as The Campaigns Wikia or Issuepedia) may be more suitable for you.
- MySpace or Facebook: Appropedia is not for promoting your band - unless perhaps it is a band promoting sustainability and justice, playing with a carbon neutral footprint or the like. It's great if you network here, but the wiki software is a bit limited in that regard.
- A place for aggressive marketing: You're encouraged to let people know about your sustainable business, on your user page and where you have reason to think they might be interested, but please don't market aggressively and don't spam. We're here to enable and empower ourselves and each other, so please put time into sharing your information and wisdom, and helping others, as well as respectfully letting people know about your own particular group/company/cause.