We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
3D Print Material Scale
The goal of this project is to be used by a 3D Printing service to accurately determine prices of prints based on the amount of material used and the type of material used. The device will be able to measure the weight of a print using a small load cell and display the weight on an integrated LCD screen. In addition to the weight, the screen will display the cost of the print given the current settings.
Bill Of Materials
|Digital Weight Sensor||$16.95||1|
|Arduino Nano||$12.86 for 3||1|
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- Allen Wrench (For M5, M4 and M3 Bolts)
- Soldering Iron and Solder
- X-ACTO Knife or similar for cleaning printed material
- PC for Arduino Programming
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
A4 - LCD SDA
A5 - LCD SCL
D2 - Scale module
D3 - Scale module
5v - Scale module/LCD
GND - Scale module/LCD
Load cell - Scale module
Push buttons will be located on the sides of the housing and allow for the user to change the material and the user rate (private or university-related). The measurement plate will be modular so the user could measure prints on a plate or in a bowl, which would be beneficial for large amounts of very small prints.
- Cost to build: ~ $34.23 in electronics + $1.65 in filament
- 1000g X .1g Kitchen Scale on Amazon ~ $11.99 (lacks functionality to display a price based on material)
- OSHE: 
- Print Farms