Appropedia needs your support - Please Donate Today
Free and Open Source 3-D Model Customizer for Websites to Democratize Design with OpenSCAD
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
|This page is part of an international project to use RepRap 3-D printing to make OSAT for sustainable development. Learn more.
Research: Open source 3-D printing of OSAT • RecycleBot • LCA of home recycling • Green Distributed Recycling • Ethical Filament • LCA of distributed manufacturing • RepRap LCA Energy and CO2 • Solar-powered RepRaps • solar powered recyclebot • Feasibility hub • Mechanical testing • RepRap printing protocol: MOST• Lessons learned • MOST RepRap Build • MOST Prusa Build • MOST HS RepRap build • RepRap Print Server
Pearce Publications By Topic: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
Free Open Source 3-D Customizer is a libre 3-D model customizer, which can be used in any design repository to democratize design using OpenSCAD. It i an extended library of libre3d/render-3d by Jonathan Foote to help interpret SCAD file, generate adjustable parameter inputs, and save to a new SCAD file. This is software for supporting the RepRap 3-D printer community, and was created by the Michigan Tech Open Sustainable Technology Lab (MOST).
- Yuenyong Nilsiam and Joshua M. Pearce. Free and Open Source 3-D Model Customizer for Websites to Democratize Design with OpenSCAD. Designs 2017, 1(1), 5; doi:10.3390/designs1010005 open free access
- Source code: https://github.com/mtu-most/most-3-d-customizer
- See paper for detailed description and instructions
3-D printing has entered the consumer market because of recent radical price declines. Consumers can save substantial money by offsetting purchases with DIY pre-designed 3-D printed products. However, even more value can be obtained with distributed manufacturing using mass customization. Unfortunately, the average consumer is not technically sophisticated enough to easily design their own products. One solution to this is the use of an overlay on OpenSCAD parametric code, although current solutions force users to relinquish all rights to their own designs. There is thus a substantial need in the open source design community for a libre 3-D model customizer, which can be used in any design repository to democratize design. This study reports on the design, function, and validation of such software: the Free Open Source 3-D Customizer. It is demonstrated with a case study of the customization of 3-D printable external breast prosthetics. The results showed that novice users can adjust the available parameters according to their needs and save these to a new file on a website. This PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) library is free and open source and has potential for increasing the usefulness of online repositories to enable distributed manufacturing using consumer customized 3-D printable products.
rapid prototyping; RepRap; 3-D printing; OpenSCAD; customization; open hardware; free and open source software; custom designs; distributed manufacturing; open design
- Free and Open-source Control Software for 3-D Motion and Processing
- Multi-material additive and subtractive prosumer digital fabrication with a free and open-source convertible delta RepRap 3-D printer
- Mobile Open-Source Solar-Powered 3-D Printers for Distributed Manufacturing in Off-Grid Communities
- Open source 3-D printing of OSAT
- Distributed manufacturing with 3-D printing: a case study of recreational vehicle solar photovoltaic mounting systems