New book - 'Building a Better World in Your Backyard' - on Kickstarter (sponsored friend)
|Service learning with Appropedia|
This is a self-guided tour for interns getting started. It helps you to get familiar with Appropedia and the community:
- Introduce yourself on this project's main talk page.
- Introducing the wiki!
- If you're completely new to editing a wiki, you can try editing at Appropedia:Sandbox.
- Try editing a page in mainspace - i.e. a topic article, or a project. (A stub of a few lines is fine - doesn't have to be a major project.)
- Find a topic you want to write about, and create a page. If you don't feel ready to put it in mainspace, you can put it in a your Userspace - i.e. a subpage of your userpage. The page can be moved later.
- Spend time browsing the content. Check the topics in the left-hand sidebar, or just keep clicking the Random link, above the topics at left. Think about the areas you will focus on, and which areas are lacking on Appropedia.
- Optional: See if there are articles deleted from Wikipedia that are worth salvaging. It could be a big task, but worth a look. Salvaging a deleted Wikipedia page has the added benefit of encouraging a Wikipedia editor who was going to get their content simply deleted. They may find Appropedia is a more suitable place for them.
- Keeping track:
- The MediaWiki software tracks all your contributions when you are logged in. Make sure you're logged in when you edit.
- Create a Tasks page in your userspace. E.g. if your username is Jane, enter User:Jane/Tasks in the search box, then on the search page, click the User:Jane/Tasks redlink near the top.
- Think about some areas you'd like to work on, and some pages you'd like to create or improve, and list these on your Tasks page.
- Stay organized
- If you're having trouble getting started, "chunk down" your tasks into smaller, more manageable steps. If you find it difficult to be organized and focused - and we all do sometimes - this chunking down is extremely important. Feel free to discuss this on the project talk page if you wish.
- Update the team on the talk page, if there's anything you'd like to share, suggest or ask. Let us know how it's going - we hope this is an enjoyable, educational and valuable experience.
Thank you for working with Appropedia!