We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
|Service learning with Appropedia|
There are 3 main stages to an Appropedia volunteer role, of increasing complexity and responsibility.
A simple project of around 4 hours work. To be completed within 2 weeks.
- For most volunteers, this will mean creating or improving a page on Appropedia. (Or you may prefer to create more than one stub article, or improve more than one existing article.)
- For [[tech volunteers, it can be researching a particular function or extension for Appropedia - choose one of the mid to high priorities in our workstream, and report on how to implement it.
- For a law/IP volunteer, this may mean a report on particular organization or body of work, identifying suitable material which can be legally used in Appropedia.
Stage 2 involves around 4 hrs/wk for 4 weeks (or 8 hrs/wk for 2 weeks, on the accelerated program).
Week 1 of Stage 2: follow the same guidelines as Stage 1 (e.g. create another article, or research another tech request).
Week 2-4 of Stage 2, as follows:
For content volunteers,
- Creating or improving a set of pages on Appropedia. It's usually a good idea to stick to one topic area - but if you want to be exposed to a range of topics, discuss this with us.
- Porting public domain or open licensed content to Appropedia.
- If entering the documentation volunteer program, communicate with local organizations and arrange to work with two or three, documenting their work and programs.
- If entering the travel internship program, arrange your trip (which might mean fundraising). Talk to your mentor and arrange with local before finalizing plans.
- Creating articles on prominent topics.
- Working on processes to keep track of topics that people are looking for.
- Identifying good pages on Appropedia, adding them to our social bookmarking, preparing a tweet for each article and sharing on Facebook.
For tech volunteer:
- Installing/implementing extensions or settings or other functionality on our dev site.
For a law/IP volunteer,
- Communicating with copyright owners with good information who we think would be willing to share that information on Appropedia
- Refining the Public Domain Search.
Stage 3 involves around 4 hrs/wk for 14 weeks (or 8 hours per week for 7 weeks on the accelerated program).
This will extend the work of stage 2. The details of Stage 3 will be worked out between you and your mentor(s), taking into account your interests.