We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Water bottle filter
Title of the device or system
Many developing third-world countries have a steady or increasing need for clean drinking water. Many solutions for achieving clean drinking water already exist, but require expensive manufacturing equipment outside the area where there is a need, and then incur shipping charges to ship them to the target location. 3D printing technologies allow rapid manufacture of humanitarian-aid devices such as water purification tools. This printable design requires some filament (preferable ABS), a tea bag, and activated carbon to create. This allows the user to drink filtered water on-demand from and standard plastic water or pop bottle.
Bill of Materials
- One bag holder: [STL] https://www.dropbox.com/s/m304isdsx3zttvk/bagHolder.stl?dl=0 [OpenSCAD] https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o9cin6t8afvpzx/bagHolder.scad?dl=0
- One bottle cap: [STL] https://www.dropbox.com/s/newoc354qbt4e34/bottle_cap.stl?dl=0 [OpenSCAD] https://www.dropbox.com/s/vygh1cng4045tv7/bottleCap.scad?dl=0( Bottle cap also required thread component: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcsaov23rt63dbe/Thread_Library.scad?dl=0)
- One tea bag
- activated carbon ( about a teaspoon)
- The activated carbon was obtained by cutting open a $6 Breta water filter (if bought in a six pack for $24) from Walmart. the carbon from one filter was able to fill 12 tea bags, making the carbon cost per bag $0.50. Activated carbon may likely be found cheaper than by using this method.
- Tea bags are available from Walmart in 100-count boxes for $3.50, yielding a unit price of $0.04 if rounded up.
- Cura estimates both parts will cost $0.51 to print.
Total cost: $0.50 + $0.04 + $0.51 = $1.05
The cheapest equivalent water bottle with an internal filter costs $10. This is a cost savings of just under 90%.
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- No other tools!
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
Benefited Internet Communities
<ref> web page: *Primal Survivor.net Available: https://www.primalsurvivor.net/ways-to-purify-water-survival/