We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Water Dew Collector
- 1 Title of the device or system
- 2 Abstract
- 3 Bill of Materials
- 4 Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- 5 Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT
- 6 Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
- 7 Cost savings
- 8 Benefited Internet Communities
- 9 References
Title of the device or system
Project developed by Shaunakmhatre (talk) 06:56, 6 December 2018 (PST)
- Dew is nothing but water in its purest form. When in atmosphere with high moisture content, a temperature around a specific surface falls below the dew point of water. There are water droplets accumulated on the top of that surface. This is usually seen when a cold water is kept in a glass or early morning atmosphere on leaves. 
- So if we could find a way to collect this dew, we would probably eliminate need of water purification. There are many places across the world where it stays humid throughout the year and it would be a huge help to community if we provide something like this to them.
- Dew point of water is 15*C which is easily achievable even by simplest techniques.
Actual Dew collector commercially available is shown below
- The design of most of the dew collectors are very simple and is something which can be done using 3D printers very economically.
In rural areas of India like Asam, Mizoram, Arunachal pradhesh where it is moist for most of the time of year and very suitable atmosphere for dew formation. This device can eliminate use of water purifier to a certain level.
- In this device to keep the temperature below 15*C, I have used the aluminium foil which stays very cool when kept in moderately cool atmosphere.
- A cloth provided on the top has to kept wet at start to initialize dew forming process. This will reduce temperature of foil and keep atmosphere near device cool.
- Once dew formation process starts, it will keep the cloth wet and go on for long duration of time.
- Picture of Commercial dew collector 
This can be done on a large scale easily without much of a cost addition.
- Picture of completed print using printer
Bill of Materials
- Aluminium foil
- Piece of cloth/Fabric
- PLA for printing main components
- You can view and download my product design at https://www.youmagine.com/designs/water-dew-collector
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
Skills and Knowledge Necessary to Make the OSAT
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
- #Print the flask as provided STL. #Supports needs to be generated to print the funnel. Once you are through with the printing, wrap aluminium foil on top surface of funnel and attach your piece of fabric on top of funnel as shown in figure
- Print time estimate: 4 Hours
- Assembly time estimate: 10 mins
Common Problems and Solutions
- Only problem with this product while printing is removal of supports generated.
- Be gentle, and take down supports carefully without damaging funnel.
- Give high infill for the funnel since it has to be leak proof and waterproof.
- Estimate Costs : $2- $3
- Commercial equivalent : Is not being produced on commercial level but can replace water purifiers costing around $50.
- $ savings and % savings: Minimum of $46 & approximately 96% (At least)
Benefited Internet Communities
- African-Asian Rural Development Organization 
- Grameen Doundation 
- Families USA 
- Health resource & service admin 
- National rural health association 
- The sources of information (e.g. engineering handbooks, journal articles, government documents, webpages, books, magazine articles etc.).: 
- web page: Inhabitat student project work on dew water collection each night under Environment (2013) Available: https://inhabitat.com/student-designed-chaac-ha-water-collector-can-harvest-2-5-liters-of-drinking-water-from-dew-each-night/
[[Category:OSAT]]. [[Category:Environment]]. [[Category:Water]]. [[Category:Purification]].