HSU Bike powered washing machine|
UTC Solar Absorption Refrigeration
Teléfono en Parras: 422-0353
Ubicación en Parras: En la calle Viesca y Lobaton, entre Ramos Arizpe y Madero, cerca del estanque La Luz.
Intereses en Tecnología Apropiada[edit | edit source]
- There are so many people in the world that have absolutely nothing. All I can think to do is use my education to try and alleviate some of the suffering in the world. Over a Billion people in the world don't have clean water for drinking and over two billion don't have sanitary water for cleaning and bathing. Add on to that: malnutrition, lack of shelter, war, pollution, cholera, AIDS, and so many others and the problems we think we have in the developed world don't really add up to much.
- Technology is mainly about monetary gains and not about helping people. I believe there are ways to change that and focusing on the people and their needs all over the world is a good start.
Experiencia en Tecnología Apropiada[edit | edit source]
- I came to HSU to study appropriate technologies and when I moved to Arcata I was lucky enough to move into a communal house with seven other individuals. Our landlord lived with us so the projects were totally legit. We all wanted to contribute and I got a lot of hands on experience. I helped build a Gray water system, a root cellar, reside the house with recycled materials, we were on solar and off the grid, we had an organic garden, chickens and I used to mil a goat every morning. We had a rainwater catchment system, made bio-diesel, made soap from the by-product, and I'm sure there were others. This was a real life CCAT house. Most recently my best friend and I built a green house in our backyard. It is a twelve by seven by thirteen foot house sided with redwood and all glass. We grew tomatoes in it this year from september to march. It's total cost was twenty-four dollars for the four posts we had to buy.
- I am also an avid bicyclist. I build bicycles in my spare time and for ENGR 114 at HSU I built a bicycle powered washing machine. It never fully worked, but was a very good learning experience. I plan on continuing a similar project in the future as well. You can check it out on appropedia as well as our gray water system at that house.
Criterios[edit | edit source]
- Accesibilidad de la tecnología a la gente
- la gente la quieren?
- localidad de los recursos
- quien esta usándolo?
Affordable Housing[edit | edit source]
Here is a very interesting tale of appropriate technology. With a background in architecture and ceramics a man named Ray Meeker has implemented a practice in India in which he builds a house of mud brick and then fills it with bricks as well. He then fires the whole thing while the house acts as the kiln and the bricks are fired inside. This creates walls as hard as stone and a sellable product in the bricks to offset as much of the building costs as possible.