New book - 'Building a Better World in Your Backyard' - on Kickstarter (sponsored friend)
Trees offer many benefits. They:
- combat climate change
- clean the air
- provide oxygen
- cool the streets and the city - see heat island
- conserve energy
- save water
- help prevent water pollution
- help prevent soil erosion
- shield children from ultra-violet rays
- provide food - see fruit trees; some trees also have edible leaves.
- provide an environment that improves mental well-being
- reduce violence[verification needed] - perhaps by providing a calming and pleasant environment that encourages people to spend time outside.
- increase business traffic - through creating an environment where people want to spend time
- mark the seasons
- create economic opportunities - through their fruit, leaves for mulch...
- bring people together, for tree-plantings and for tree care
- encourage civic pride
- provide a canopy and habitat for wildlife
- block unsightly views and muffle sound
- provide wood
- increase property values
The basic ideas here come from Top 22 Benefits of Trees, www.treepeople.org but references are not given for the claims made - these could be given here, or in the articles linked from each point.