Step 1: Print[edit | edit source]
- Parameters (MTU CNC Metal Printer)
- Spool Gun
- Nozzle head needs to start 8-10mm away from the substrate
- Wire Speed ~22 (level on feeder)
- RC25 gas @ 25 CFH
- Pause in between layers to clean surface & allow to cool
Step 2: Machine[edit | edit source]
- Remove part from substrate
- Any further machining/finishing required to be at net shape
Step 3: Heat Treat[edit | edit source]
- Encapsulate the part in quartz and evacuate the capsule. DO NOT BREAK CAPSULE UNTIL ENTIRE HT IS FINISHED
- Homogenize in a high temperature furnace for 3 days at 1150C.
- Allow to slowly cool in air after homogenization.
- Austenitize at 1000C for 15 minutes
- Immediately turn furnace down to 125C after austenitization and let the sample gently transition to the lower temperature
- Cook the sample at 125C for 60 days
- Remove from furnace, break the capsule open and quench the sample in water.
FOR THIS SUMMER[edit | edit source]
Remove capsule from furnace (#8, U208). Quickly and carefully break the capsule and immediately quench the sample in water. Rinse with ethanol and dry with air. Place the sample on the first top cabinet on the right as you enter 517. (Labeled Emily Hunt, Steel Samples)
May 5th through July 11th
Step 4: Characterize[edit | edit source]
- Compression test
- Hardness test