Robins were causing shading on the solar panel. This shading was interfering with the efficiency of the panel. This was causing extra work for the farmer, it is a long walk back to replace the battery with a fresh one from the barn where there is a 110v charger. After replacing the battery the panel had to be cleaned off as well.
Attaching these pieces of wire made the solar panel an unattractive perch[edit | edit source]
Materials List[edit | edit source]
- Wire, I used steel, about 18 gauge
- Wire cutters or pliers
Order of operation[edit | edit source]
- First cut the wire into pieces about 8 inches long
- Wrap the wire around somewhere and twist it like a twist tie. I used the handle of the charger as an attachment point.
- Bend the wires around so that they stick up menacingly at the pesky robins. Be careful not to bend the wire so that it shades the panel.
Testing[edit | edit source]
- After the wires were in place the robins quit perching on the solar charger.
- After a rain storm the wires started to rust, consider stainless steel wire.