This frugal simulator allows medical officers (non-specialist physicians) and general surgeons to become confident and competent in the gentle handling of delicate infant tissues as part of neonatal colostomy procedures performed in low to middle income countries (LMICs). The thin cigarette paper, especially when moistened, simulates the delicate tissue of neonatal bowel.
Materials[edit | edit source]
- 1 reusable cup with clean water
- Pair of cigarettes (costs between 5¢ to 10¢ USD)
- 4-0 or 5-0 silk suture with a round bodied (tapered) needle
- Standard needle driver
- Smooth (non-toothed) dissecting forceps
- Mayo scissors (used to cut sutures and stabilize the proximal end of the cigarette closest to you)