Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Mid Upper Arm Circumference (MUAC) Clasp Band
MUAC Clasp Band Customizable
Project developed by Andrea Henry
- Mid Upper Arm Circumference (MUAC) is measured on children suspected of being malnourished. The cut off for severe acute malnutrition (SAM) is 115mm. MUAC is traditionally measured using a tape measure like device, but there is a need for a simpler method. The "Click-MUAC" concept is for a band that clicks closed only if the child's arm is ≤115mm. It is important that this band be accurate, somewhat durable, and very easy to use.
- This band is easily closed, without pulling the band tighter before it can be clasped.
Bill of Materials
Tools needed for fabrication of the OSAT
- MOST Delta RepRap or similar RepRap 3-D printer
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions
- To customize the band, open the SCAD file and edit the band width, thickness, length, and clasp height and diameter. The print shown here uses (all dimensions in mm) width = 10, thickness = 0.5, length = 115, height = 4, and diameter = 4.
- Save SCAD file as STL (or simply download STL given with above dimensions) and use slicer to generate gcode, which can then be printed.
- ~15 minute print time with dimensions given above, 0.1mm layer height, and 50 mm/s print speed.
- ~1 gram of PLA filament (at $22/kg): $0.03
- Current MUAC tape can be purchased through UNICEF for $4/50 tapes ($0.08 per tape)
- Clasp MUAC saves $0.05 per tape, and costs 38% of the UNICEF tapes