Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Foam Printing Literature Review
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
IEEExplore and Google Scholar have resulted very few results. Links here are mainly from projects from Youtube, followed back to their actual projects.
Youtube links are blocked by Appropedia spam filter.
- Large industrial robot arm, can build buildings out of PU foam.
- Mobile robot arm is hugely complex.
- In addition of foam printing, capable of moving earth, casting concrete and welding rebar and chain.
- Cable-suspended end-effector for larger build volume.
- PU foam for material, shaving cream for support.
- Inspect further, this is very interesting.
- Study on porous ceramic material and it's physical parameters when printed into variety of structures.
- Material seems to be non-expanding.
- Inspect further.
youtu.be/NzGsrljQ3do Make You Own Ceramic 3D Printer - Printheads/paste extruders
- Community effort for paste extruders. Community G+ group.
- Pneumatic force, loaded manually, no automated control?
- Inspect, but automation would be nice.
youtu.be/q_LEd-rUfuE 3D PU Foam Printing
- Technical University of Vienna, not found publications or associated researchers yet.
- Aerosol can with solenoid valve.
- Must find out more. Just the design I was going after.
- Polyurethane plastic, printed with FDM. Doesn't expand, but has elastic properties.
- Same basic material, a wholly different take.
youtu.be/LPTGDzaBtuQ 3D Foam Printing
- Stratasys/GoEngineer company
- Elastic 3D printed material, intends to replace traditional foam with material that has hundreds of "follicles" of material. Allows airflow.
- Product design improvement, not really new material or technique.
- They have another presentation where they print soluble mold and pour PU resin to the mold.
- Croma company
- Cuts foam from blocks using CNC hotwire tool.
- Substractive synthesis. Could develop a tool for open source CNC machines. Out of scope of this study.
youtu.be/rN-mfQsno2g Foam Printer
- No sources.
- Extrudes soap bubble foam with a boyant gas (helium or hydrogen?).
- Amathane company
- Multicomponent PU extruding.
- Except for that article, no published results or designs.