We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Appropedia:How you can help
Please discuss this issue on the talk page.
Comment: Nov 2009
Thank you for looking into how you can help make Appropedia a more valuable, world-changing resource! Appropedia runs on volunteer effort and donations from people like you.
Which of these tasks grabs you? You can just dive in and start working on what inspires you, or contact one of the Appropedia volunteer coordinators for guidance.
There are many ways that you can contribute to Appropedia.
Expanding the content at Appropedia
Port (integrate) useful content into Appropedia pages
- Willing to help others port their content to Appropedia?
- Create a page and tell the world about it. Let others learn from your experience and receive feedback from others.
- Include the following category at the bottom of your new page: Category:Projects
Want to help others build amazing projects?
Are you a teacher?
- Post your coursework, schedule or lecture notes.
- Consider making Appropedia a part of your curriculum. Students can post and edit about sustainability, this allows them to take part in a global context, receive broader feedback, learn mediawiki (very simple, but useful) and more easily collaborate with peers.
- If you're a foreign language educator, consider a Course-based translation project
- Include the following category at the bottom of your new page: Category:Coursework
Do you have a Thesis that should be shared?
- Create a page and post it here
- If your thesis in word format consider using word2wiki
- Include the following category at the bottom of your new page: Category:Theses
Know how to do something appropriate really well?
- Search for a page on it.
- If a page already exists, add your knowledge.
- If no page exists, create one and tell us how to do what it is you do.
- Include the following category at the bottom of your new page: Category:How tos
Local resource finder
Do you know where to find the inexpensive, useful, appropriate local resources?
Improving the content already at Appropedia
Maintain a portal and/or moderate a topic
Take ownership of a corner of Appropedia.
- Create a new portal
- Sign up for a stint at managing an existing portal
- Take a shot at moderating a topic
Portals are "entry pages" or "landing pages" for users with specific interests. We need folks who can maintain a topic portal, and/or manage many articles related to a topic. If you have an interest in a particular topic and are willing to commit a few hours per week to Appropedia for a month or more, we would like to hear from you! Please leave us a note on the discussion page (click the discussion tab above), or see here to see how to send an email to a member of the Appropedia team.
- Spelling and grammar errors drive you crazy?
- Check the Articles in need of copyediting page to find articles listed by authors asking for assistance.
- Or, if the category above is empty, look over other articles for errors, and then commit the satisfying act of correction.
- Click the edit tab, or one of the section edit links (). This will open an edit window.
- Find and correct the offending part
- Write a quick summary and click save page.
- Thank you. You've improved an important tool for sustaining the world.
Sharing the Appropedia mission
- Spread the word. Read Appropedia articles and projects and share them with others. Add a link to Appropedia to your email signature.
- Add links to other related useful web content that you know of.
- Use the "External links" section. You can create it by inserting "==External links==" on a line by itself.
- Improve the formatting, readability, spelling or grammar of articles. Many excellent contributions are provided by authors who are not native English speakers. For more information, see this section.
- Help Appropedia achieve its goal of centralizing its target content by porting some of the many articles that we have already received permission to republish.
- If you know of some other great content that would be great to see at Appropedia, please let us know by leaving a note in this section.
- Become a steward of a collection of articles in a topic category. Write overview articles that explain the how the other articles tie together. Create links between related articles.
- Propose, create and manage a portal about a particular topic, or associated with a particular organization or community. See this section.
- Are you an expert willing to help people implement sustainable solutions? Register and create a user page, and add links to your user page from articles about the topics in your areas of expertise.
Do what you have passion for:
- Do you have particular areas of expertise?
- Search for articles in those areas
- Contribute by clicking the edit tab or the discussion tab.
- Create a page that advertises your organization and provides a working space for your organizational needs, such as contracts, upcoming events, maps, collaborative grants, etc.
- Include the following category at the bottom of your new page: Category:Organizations
Are you part of the directing of a program, intensive, workshop or school?
- Create a page that advertises your organization and provides a working space for your program goals, such as curriculum, important contacts, contracts, schedule of classes, upcoming events, collaborative work, etc.
- See Category:Parras for an example.
- Include the following category at the bottom of your new page: Category:Programs
Have a passion that you didn't see listed?
- Leave a note on the discussion page above, or click here to send an email to a member of the Appropedia team.
Site development priorities
The following list is from Appropedia:Site development/priorities (go there to edit the list):
Old items (resolved or moved elsewhere):
Also search for the word high on the Desired features page to see other items marked as possibly "high priority".
A longer list
- Porting content
- Translating content
- User experience
- High Tech
- Dual branding
- Social networking integration
- Editing interface
- Backup scheme
- Live chat
- Extensions (such as widgets)
- Ekopedia merging
- Multi-Language arrangement
- Social media
- Finding partners
- Organizations with project content to move over
- Teachers with classes
- Finding content
- Cleaning up content
- Community outreach
- More PR coverage
- Grant writing
- Grant finding
- Funding campaigns