I plan to tie all of the work and modules together with skills towards resilience and water security. I will also springboard from the ludicrosity of using the purest drinking water in the world for watering and pooping.
Modules[edit | edit source]
Here are some possible learning modules to tie into our field work.
Rainwater catchment[edit | edit source]
I will probably tie in systems in poor countries and the global status of rainwater catchment into US based systems.
Sizing tools: Rainwater Collection Calculator
Greywater treatment[edit | edit source]
I will probably tie in large-scale municipal level wastewater treatment into small-scale, home-based, subsurface flow, greywater treatment.
PS not proud of this, but here is a little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkb-eaNufD0
Water filtration[edit | edit source]
I will discuss the various levels of treatment based on needs and costs. Technologies covered: Slow-sand filters, first flushes, mycofiltration, ceramic, impregnated silver, activated carbon, UV, etc.
Swales[edit | edit source]
I will focus on recharging the aquifer, reducing erosion and beautification.
Water for Food[edit | edit source]
Aquaponics[edit | edit source]
I only have some experience with full aquaponics systems. I could have much more before the summer if necessary. Kiva already does.
Other Related Skills[edit | edit source]
- Measuring flow (multiple methods): bucket; float; T-square
- Measuring with personal stride
- Surveying (multiple methods): stick and level; line level, hose and water
- Finding contours: A-frame
- Sizing pipes: Reading tables
- Dimensional analysis for sizing
- much more...
- Additional concepts/vocabulary: BOD, COD, HRT, GPM, LPS, Volume, Area, TSS, Fecal Coliform, Eutrophication, pitch, slope, embedded energy, head, etc.