Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
USASBE Sustainability in the Classroom
This page is to share content with the participants in the United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) 2013 conference session titled Sustainability in the classroom: Creative ways to embed environmental and social responsibility into classroom content. The presentation was given by a cross campus HSU delegation from the School of Business, Environmental Resources Engineering Department, and the Office of Sustainability.
- Michelle Lane (School of Business)
- Nancy Vizenor (School of Business)
- David Sleeth-Keppler (School of Business)
- TC Comet (Office of Sustainability)
- Kate Lancaster (School of Business)
- Lonny Grafman (Environmental Resources Engineering Department)
The following sharable presentations were presented:
- Introduction and overview
- Innovations through service learning
- Practivistas Dominicana
- Using Your Campus as the Living Laboratory
- Portal:Service learning
- Appropedia:Citations in the literature
- E215 Introduction to Design projects
- Project management suites like Basecamp (in depth), Trello (low barrier to entry)
- Peer evaluation tools like CATME or iPeer
Life Cycle Analysis
If you were a participant, please add any content you would like to share here:
- Sustainable Enterprise by Mark Peterson ISBN 978-1-4129-9868-0
Other teaching Resources
- Dirksen J. (2012) Design for How People Learn, New Riders
- Barkley E.,(2010) Student Engagement Techniques, Jossey-Bass
- Belasco, J. and R. Stayer (1994) Flight of the Buffalo, Grand Central Publishing
Other sustainability Resources
- http://www.emagazine.com/view/?3943 E Magazine’s 10 green jobs
See http://sbccalpoly.pbworks.com/w/page/7306906/FrontPage for summaries of some of the following:
- Adams, John (2000) Thinking Today as if Tomorrow Mattered, Eartheart
- Albion, Mark (2000) True to Yourself, Business Plus
- Albion, Mark (2008) More than Money, Barrett-Koehler
- Anderson, Ray. (1999) Mid-Course Correction: Toward a Sustainable Enterprise: The Interface Model. Peregrinzilla Press.
- Anderson, Sarah and John Cavanagh . (2005) Field Guide to the Global Economy. The New Press.
- Bamburg, Jill. (2006) Getting to Scale: Growing Your Business Without Selling Out. Berrett-Koehler.
- Bartlett, Peggy and Geoff Chase (2004) Sustainability on Campus, MIT Press
- Beck, Don and Christopher Cown (2006) Spiral Dynamics, Blackwell Publishing
- Bell, Simon and Stephen Morse (2003) Measuring Sustainability: Learning by Doing
- Benyus, Janine. (2002) Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature. M. Harper Perennial.
- Berry, Leonard. (1999) Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success. Free Press
- Bingham, Sam (1997) The Last Ranch, Mariner Books
- Bolman, Lee and Terrance Deal (2011) Leading with Soul, Jossey-Bass
- Bornstein, David (2007) How to Change the World, Oxford University Press
- Bowden, Adrian, et al. (2001) Triple Bottom Line Risk Management. John Wiley & Sons, John Wiley & Sons
- Brown, Lester, et al. (1991) Saving the Planet: How to Shape an Environmentally Sustainable Global Economy. W.W. Norton for Worldwatch Institute.
- Brown, Mark (2006) Keeping Score: Using the Right Metrics to Drive World Class Performance, Productivity Press
- Capra, Fritjof (1999) The Tao of Physics. 25th Anniversary Edition. Shambhala Publications
- Carson, Rachel. (1962) Silent Spring. Houghton-Mifflin, New York.
- Daly, Herman (1994) For the Common Good: Redirecting the Economy toward Community, the Environment and a Sustainable Future Beacon Press
- De Geus. Arie. (1997) The Living Company. Longview Pub., (HBS Press), Boston, MA.
- De Graaf, John, et al. (2005) Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic. 2nd Ed. Berrett-Koehler.
- Delanty, Gerard (2000) Citizenship in a Global Age: Society, Culture, Politics, Open University Press
- Des Jardines, Joseph (2006) Business Ethics and the Environment, Prentice Hall
- Diamond, Jared. (2005) Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies. New Edition. W. W. Norton.
- Doppelt, Bob. (2003) Leading Change Toward Sustainability: A Change-Management Guide for Business. Government and Civil Society. Greenleaf Publications.
- Dyer, Gwynne (2010) Climate Wars: The Fight for Survival as he World Overheats, One World Publications
- Eccles, Robert and Michael Krzus (2010) One Report: Integrated Reporting for a Sustainable Strategy, Wiley
- Edwards, Andres and David Orr (2005) The Sustainability Revolution: Portrait of a Paradigm Shift, New Society Publishers
- Ehrenfeld, John (2009) Sustainability by Design, Yale University Press
- Ehrlich, Paul and Anne Ehrlich. (1991) Healing the Planet. Addison-Wesley.
- Epstein, Marc (1996) Measuring Corporate Environmental Performance, Irwin
- Esty, Dnaiel and Andrew Winston (2009) Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Create Value and Build Competitive Advantage, Wiley
- Flannery, Tim (2007) Weather Makers, Grove Press
- Gallenbach, Ernest, al. (1993) EcoManagement: The Elmwood Guide to Ecological Auditing and Sustainable Business. Berrett-Koehler
- Gladwell, Malcolm. (2002) The Tipping Point. Back Bay Books, New York.
- Gore, Al. (2006) Earth in the Balance. Penguin Group, New York.
- Hardin, Garrett. (1993) Living Within Limits. Garrett. Oxford University Press.
- Hart, Stuart (2005) Capitalism at the Crossroads: The Unlimited Business Opportunities in Solving the World's Most Difficult Problems. Wharton 0131439871
- Hawken, Paul (1993) The Ecology of Commerce. HarperCollins, New York.
- Hawken, Paul (2007) Blessed Unrest, Viking, New York
- Hawken, Paul, et al. (1999) Natural Capitalism. Little Brown & Company
- Henriques, Adrian and Julie Richardson, ed (2005) The Triple Bottom Line: Does it All Add Up? Earthscan
- Herman, Paul (2010) The Hip Investor, Wiley
- Hitchcock, Darcy and Marsha Willard (2006) The Business Guide for Sustainability: Practical Strategies and Tools for Organizations, Earthscan
- Hoggan, James, and Richard Littlemore (2009) Climate Cover-up, Greystone
- Hollender, Jeffrey and Stephen Fenichell (2006) What Matters Most: How a Small Group of Pioneers Is Teaching Social Responsibility to Big Business. Basic Books
- Hopwood, Anthony, et. al. (2010) Accounting for Sustainability: Practical Insights, Earthscan
- Johnson, Barry (1996) Polarity Management, HRD Press
- Jones, Van (2009) The Green Collar Economy, Harper 1
- Kahane, Adam (2007) Solving Tough Problems, Barrett-Koehler
- Kegan, Robert and Lisa Laskow Lahey (2006) How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work: Seven Languages for Transformation. Jossey-Bass
- Kegan, Robert and Lisa Laskow Lahey (2009) Immunity to Change, HBR
- Kelly, Marjorie and William Grieder. (2001) The Divine Right of Capital. Berrett-Koehler
- Kirschenmann, Frederick Cultivating an Ecological Conscience
- Kiuchi, Tachi and William Shireman. (2002) What We Learned in the Rainforest: Business Lessons from Nature. Berrett-Koehler
- Korten, David (2011) Agenda for a New Economy, Berrett-Koehler
- Korten, David. (1996) When Corporations Rule the World. Kumarian Press.
- Korten, David. (2006) The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community. Berrett-Koehler
- Kotter, John (1996) Leading Change, Harvard Business Press Review
- Kouzes, James and Barry Posner (2003) Encouraging the Heart, Jossey Bass
- Laszlo, Chris (2008) Sustainable Value: How the World’s Leading Companies are Doing Well By Doing Good, Stanford Business Books
- Leopold, Aldo (1949) A Sand County Almanac. Oxford University Press
- Lomborg, Bjorn. (2001) The Skeptical Environmentalist. Cambridge U. Press, New York.
- Lovelock, James (2009) Gaia, Oxford
- Lovelock, James (2009) The Vanishing Face of Gaia, Basic Books
- Lovins, Hunter and Cohen, Boyd (2011) Climate Capitalism: Capitalism in the Age of Climate Change, Hill and Wang
- Macy, Joanna (2007) World as Lover, World as Self, Parallax Press
- Makower, Joel and Cara Pike (2008) Strategies for a Green Economy: Opportunities and Challenges in the New World of Business, McGraw Hill
- McCarty, Thomas, et. Al (2011) Six Sigma for Sustainability, McGraw Hill
- McDonough, William and Michael Braungart (2002) Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things. North Point Press
- McKibben, Bill (2011) Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet, St Martin’s Griffin
- McKibben, Bill (2008) Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future, St Martin’s Griffin
- McKibben, William. (2006) The End of Nature. Random House, New York
- Meadows, Donella (1991) Global Citizen, Island Press
- Meadows, Donella (2008) Thinking in Systems, Chelsea Green
- Meadows, Donella, et al. (1992) Beyond the Limits: Confronting Global Collapse. Envisioning a Sustainable Future. Chelsea Green Publishing
- Merkel, Jim (2003) Radical Simplicity, New Society Publishers
- Montgomery, John (2011) Great from The Start, How Conscious Corporations Attract Success, Morgan James
- Nattrass, Brian and Mary Altomare. (1999) The Natural Step for Business. New Society Publishers
- Orr, David (2012) Down to the Wire, Oxford University Press
- Orr, David, (2004)
- ISBN: 1-55963-259-X Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment and the Human Prospect. Island Press
- Ott, Riki and Walter Crinnion (2005) Sound Truth and Corporate Myths: The Legacy of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill, Dragonfly Sisters Press
- Pauli, Gunter, et. al. (2000) Upsizing: The Road to Zero Emissions, Greenleaf Publishing
- Polak, Paul (2009) Out of Poverty: What Works When Traditional Approaches Fail, Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- Pollen, Michael. (2007) The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals. Penguin Books
- Quinn, Daniel (1995) Ishmael, Bantam
- Ray, Paul and Sherry Anderson (2001) The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World Three Rivers Press
- Richardson, Julie and Adrian Henriques. (2004) The Triple Bottom Line, Does it All Add Up?: Assessing the Sustainability of Business and CSR. Earthscan
- Rivoli, Pietra (2009) Travels of a t-shirt in a Global Economy, Wiley
- Robèrt, Karl-Henrik (2002) The Natural Step Story, New Society Publishers
- Rubenstein, Daniel (1994) Environmental Accounting for Sustainable Corporation, Praeger
- Sahtouris, Elisabet (2000) Earthdance: Living Systems in Evolution. iUniverse
- Sanders, Tim (2008) Saving the World at Work: What Companies and Individuals Can Do to Go Beyond Making a Profit to Making a Difference, Crown Business
- Sanford, Carol (2011) The Responsible Business, Josey Bass
- Savitz, Andrew (2006) Triple Bottom Line How Today's Best-Run Companies Are Achieving Economic, Social and Environmental Success -- and How You Can Too, Jossey Bass
- Savory, Allan and Jody Butterfield (1998) Holistic Management: A New Framework for Decision Making¸ Island Press
- Schaltegger, Stefan and Marcus Wagner, Centre for Sustainability Management (CSM) (2006) Managing the Business Case for Sustainability: The Integration of Social, Environmental and Economic Performance ISBN 978-1-874719-95-3
- Schendler, Auden (2010) Getting Green Done: Hard Truths from the Front Lines of the Sustainability Revolution, Public Affairs
- Schlosser, Eric. (2001) Fast Food Nation. Houghton Mifflin
- Schultz, William. (2001) In Our Own Best Interest. Beacon Press.
- Schumacher, E.F. (1973) Small is Beautiful, Harper Perennial
- Senge, Peter (2006) The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
- Sisodia, Rajendra, et. al (2007) Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose, Pearson Prentice Hall
- Suzaki, Kiyoshi and His Holiness, the Dalai Lama (2002) Results from the Heart: How Mini-Company Management Captures Everyone's Talents and Helps Them Find Meaning and Purpose at Work, Free Press
- Suzuki, David and Amanda McConnell. (2006) The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place in Nature 2.00 edition. Greystone Books
- Sweeney, Linda Booth and Dennis Meadows. (2001) The Systems Thinking Playbook. Inst for Policy & Social Science.
- Tolle, Eckhart (2005) A New Earth, Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose, A Plume Book
- Vaill, Peter (1996) Learning as a Way of Being, Jossey-Bass
- Shiva, Vandana (2005) Earth Democracy: Justice, Sustainability, and Peace, South End Press
- Waddock, Sandra (2008) Leading Corporate Citizens, McGraw-Hill/Irwin
- Weisman, Alan. (2007) The World Without Us. Thomas Dunn Books
- Wheatley, Margaret (2006) Leadership and the New Science, 3rd Ed. Berrett-Koehler
- Whyte, David (1996) The Heart Aroused, Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America, Crown Business
- Wilhelm, Kevin (200) Return on Sustainability, Dog Ear Publishing
- Willard, Bob (2002) The Sustainability Advantage: Seven Business Case Benefits of a Triple Bottom Line (Conscientious Commerce), New Society Publishers.
- Wilson, E.O. (1999) Conscilience, Vintage
- Wilson, E.O. (2003) The Future of Life, Vintage
- Food, Inc.
- The Lorax
- Inconvenient Truth
- 11th Hour
- The Corporation
- Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices
Business Case for Sustainability
- Davis, Ian (2005). “The biggest contract.” Economist, May 28, 2005. http://www.bettermail.ca/clients/102/Economist.pdf
- Friedman, Milton (1970). “The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase Its Profits.” The New York Times Magazine, Sept. 13, 1970. http://www.umich.edu/~thecore/doc/Friedman.pdf
- The Conference Board (2006). “Does It Pay to Be Good?” http://www.conference-board.org/articles/articlepdf.cfm?ID=73
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) (2006). “From Challenge to Opportunity.” http://www.sustainablefinance.net/DocRoot/k6L2qc7b0RhseEbck01R/tomorrows-leaders.pdf
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (2005). “A Legal Framework for the Integration of Environmental, Social and Governance Issues into Institutional Investment,” produced for the Asset Management Working Group of the UNEP Finance Initiative.” Sections: “Executive Summary” (pp 6-17), “Institutional Investment: An Overview” (pp 20-29), and “United States” (pp 102-116). http://www.unepfi.org/fileadmin/documents/freshfields_legal_resp_20051123.pdf
- Starbucks Corporation. “Corporate Social Responsibility Report Fiscal 2006 Annual Report” http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/csrannualreport.asp http://media.starbucks.com.edgesuite.net/dotcom/csr_reports/CSR_en.pdf
- Orlitzky, Marc; Schmidt, Frank L. and Rynes, Sara L. (2003). “Corporate Social and Financial Performance: A Meta-analysis.” Organization Studies, 24(3), 2003. http://www.global100.org/Corporate%20Social%20&%20Environmental%20Performance.pdf
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). (2007). A Statement of Intent for Doing Business with the World. http://www.wbcsd.ch/DocRoot/A5VWpGTcM2mSkbMNM3CH/Statement%20of%20Intent%20FINAL%20-%20with%20signatures.pdf
- Bank of America 2007. Bank of America Announces $20 Billion Environmental Initiative. http://newsroom.bankofamerica.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=7697
- The Natural Step (2000). “The Natural Step Framework Guidebook.” http://www.naturalstep.ca/articles/TNSFrameworkGuidebook.pdf
- McDonough, William and Braungart, Michael. (1998) “The NEXT Industrial Revolution,” Atlantic Monthly, Oct. www.theatlantic.com/issues/98oct/industry.htm
- Kurk, Fran and McNamara, Curt (2006). “Better by Design: An Innovation Guide.” Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. http://www.pca.state.mn.us/oea/publications/betterbydesign.pdf
- US EPA (2006). “Life Cycle Assessment: Principles and Practice.” National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development, US Environmental Protection Agency. Chapters 1 and 2. http://www.epa.gov/ord/NRMRL/lcaccess/pdfs/600r06060.pdf
Standards and Reporting Systems
- AccountAbility (2004). “Strategic Challenges for Business in the Use of Corporate Responsibility Codes, Standards and Frameworks.” Prepared by AccountAbility for the WBCSD Accountability and Reporting Working Group. http://www.wbcsd.org/web/publications/accountability-codes.pdf
- Diageo (2006). “Corporate Citizenship Report 2006.” http://www.diageo.com/en-row/CorporateCitizenship/CorporateCitizenshipReports/2006/
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) (2006). “Sustainability Reporting Guidelines.” http://www.globalreporting.org/NR/rdonlyres/A1FB5501-B0DE-4B69-A900-27DD8A4C2839/0/G3_GuidelinesENG.pdf
- Ligteringen, Ernst and Zadek, Simon. “The Future of Corporate Responsibility Codes, Standards and Frameworks.” Global Reporting Initiative and AccountAbility. http://www.accountability21.net/uploadstore/cms/docs/Landscape%20Paper.pdf
- Secretariat for the Equator Principles (2006), “The Equator Principles.” http://www.equator-principles.com/documents/Equator_Principles.pdf
- United Nations (2000). “The Global Compact.” http://www.unglobalcompact.org/docs/about_the_gc/2.0.1.pdf
- See www.corporateregister.com for on-line directory of corporate non-financial reports.
- Senge, Peter et al, “Innovating Our Way to the Next Industrial Revolution,” MIT Sloan
- Management Review Winter, 2001
- Economist.com “The Ethics of Business”
- Economist.com “The World According to CSR”
- Economist.com “The Union of Concerned Executives”
- Boulding, Kenneth, “A Note on Environmental Sustainability,” Darden Pub. Co., U. of Virginia, case UVA-E-0094
- Gatewood, Brooking, “To Drink or Not To Drink?” (Odwalla recall), The Dartmouth Green Magazine; Fall 2005; http://www.dartmouth.edu/tgm
- Economist.com, “The Good Company, Survey” 01/25/05
- Economist.com, “The Good Company, Opinion” 01/25/05
- McDaniel, Kristin, “Back to Nature,” Journal of Integrated Marketing Communication, 2006
- Yankelovich, Daniel & David Meer, “Rediscovering Market Segmentation,” Harvard Business Review, Feb. 2006
- Ginsberg, Jill M., and Paul Bloom, “Choosing the Right Green Marketing Strategy,” MIT Sloan Management Review, Fall, 2004
- Economist.com, “Profit and the Public Good,” 01/20/05
- The Water Crisis Special Report, Outside, Aug. 2003. See particularly p. 59, “Water Woes: The Atlas,” and p. 76, “Water in the Balance.”
- “The Global Water and Food Supply Problem,” Darden Pub. Co., U. of Virginia, case UVA-E-0213
- Porter, Michael C. van der Linde, “Green and Competitive: Ending the Stalemate,”
- Harvard Business Review, Sept.-Oct. 1995
- Burnham, Michael, “Wall to Wall Willpower,” Sustainable Industries Journal, 01/30/06
- Garvin, David, “Building Learning Organization,” Harvard Business Review, Jul.-Aug. 1993
- Grow, Brian, S. Hamm & L. Lee, “The Debate Over Doing Good,” Business Week, 08/15/05
- Gray R. and J Bebbington (2002). Accounting for the Environment, 2nd edition. Sage Publications. Part A - Overview and Chapter 1
- Adams, R. (2002).” Management accounting and the environment.”
- Porter, Michael E. and Claas van der Linde. 1995. “Green and Competitive: Ending the Stalemate” Harvard Business Review. Sep/Oct 1995, Vol. 73 Issue 5. pp 120-133.
- Walley, Noah, and Bradley Whitehead. 1994. “It’s Not Easy Being Green” Harvard Business Review. May/June 1994, Vol. 72 Issue 3. pp 46-51.
- Cadbury, Sir Adrian. 1987. “Ethical Managers Make Their Own Rules” Harvard Business Review. Sep/Oct 1987, Vol. 65 Issue 5. pp 63-67.
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Report - Ecosystems and Human Well-being: A Framework for Assessment. www.millenniumassessment.org/en/Framework.aspx
- Harrington, Cynthia. 2003. “Socially Responsible Investing” Online Publications of the Journal of Accountancy. January 2003. http://www.aicpa.org/pubs/jofa/jan2003/spec_har.htm printed Aug. 3, 2004
- Second Nature Sustainability Curriculum Framework. http://www.secondnature.org/pdf/snwritings/factsheets/framework.pdf
- Herman Daly’s triangle