|Designed in||United States|
|Cost||USD $ 2.00|
|Hardware||CC BY-SA 4.0|
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been designed but not yet tested — use at your own risk.|
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been prototyped.|
Open source appropriate technology (OSAT) refers to technologies that are designed in the same fashion as free  and open-source software. These technologies must be "appropriate technology" (AT) - meaning technology that is designed with special consideration to the environmental, ethical, cultural, social, political, and economical aspects of the community it is intended for.
It fulfills the need for grass roots people to improve and/ or create technology that does the job above. This class project alone shows that the technology is being used successfully.
Bill of Materials[edit | edit source]
The only cost for making the tent stake is the cost of the filament, which is about $20 per roll. Rolls are usually 300m and the cost per meter is about 6 cents.
Tools needed[edit | edit source]
- Jellybox or similar RepRap 3-D printer
- CAD program like FreeCAD (if building from scratch)
- Slicer program like Cura (if building from scratch)
- PLA Filament of your choice
Skills and knowledge needed[edit | edit source]
no special skills needed. you make need to know how to use a opensource software to make the product or tweak it.
Technical Specifications and Assembly Instructions[edit | edit source]
- Provide directions for print/assembly - be detailed enough in your "how to" to ensure that someone could construct the device from your description. Consider the elegance of IKEA like instructions.
- Just click the print button on your printer once it is downloaded on to a flash drive
- Include print time estimate
- 40 minutes
- Include assembly time estimate
- 0 minutes
- Including drawings or pictures of the device at stage of assembly at minimum. (
Common problems and solutions[edit | edit source]
A common mistake would be to print the tent stake vertically, which would make it not strong enough. The print needs to be printed flat horizontally on the plate.
Cost savings[edit | edit source]
- My costs for the tent stake are less than 50 cents per item
- A commercial tent stake set can cost 20 dollars
- A set up my tent stakes would cost 2 dollars max, so it would be a cost savings of up to 18 dollars.
References[edit | edit source]
No references for this project.