The Holzer Permaculture is a branch of permaculture developed independently from the mainstream permaculture in Austria by Sepp Holzer. It is particularly noteworthy because it grew out of practical application and was relatively detached from the scientific community.
Sepp Holzer is a well known permaculturalist whose work is well documented.[verification needed] He developed his style independently from mainstream permaculture, on his family's property in the Austrian Alps in the early 1960s. As with the permaculture pioneered by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren, he focused on observing and following ecological patterns. In his youth he began experimenting informally with native plants.
He refers to his methods and pratice as "Holzer Permaculture" (German: "Holzer'sche Permakultur") as opposed to "Permaculture" per se. This might be something to do with the tendency of people to say "you can't do that because that isn't permaculture." By saying that what he is doing is "Holzer Permaculture" then he can do what he thinks is best without having to address about the infinite interpretations of the books of others.[verification needed]
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Aspects of "Holzer Permaculture" include:
- a focus on the needs of gardening in a cold climate, raising temperatures and creating micro-climates with rocks, ponds and living wind barriers.
- use of animal labor, e.g. using pigs to plow his fields for sowing.
- An extreme use of intercropping method, mixing 30 or more different types of seeds in a bucket and scattering them.
- The use of hugelkultur a form of extreme raised beds incorporating wood in the bottom.
Books by Sepp Holzer[edit | edit source]
- 2011: Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening ISBN 978-1603583701
- 2012: Desert or Paradise: Restoring Endangered Landscapes Using Water Management, Including Lake and Pond Construction ISBN 978-1603584647
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- SeppHolzer.at - Official website
- Sepp Holzer's Permaculture - includes practical advice heard from Holzer, with pictures and video.
- Sepp Holzer style or otherwise - permies.com
- Maddy Harland and Paul Wheaton - podcast on Sepp Holzer's work in desert Portugal, as well as his (and other well-appreciated permaculturists') books
- Paul Wheaton's Eco Scale a youtube where Paul Wheaton uses Sepp Holzer as a "10" on his "Eco Scale"
- Brief video on Sepp Holzer's animal shelters
- Video on Sepp Holzer's bone sauce
- Forum Topic on Sepp Holzer