|Kiswahili - English|
You can often save your wet mobile phone (cell phone) if you act quickly. So after you salvage it from the sink, or from the table after a spilled drink, follow these steps immediately:
- Quickly wipe off the surface moisture
- Remove battery. (If it's an iPhone, the battery can't be removed, but at least make sure your iPhone is off and locked).
- Remove the SIM card if it has one, dry it carefully and put it somewhere safe (and where you'll remember it). At least the data there is safe.
- Dry any more excess moisture around the battery compartment, by blowing on it or using paper towels or lint-free cloth. One of those cans of compressed air used to clean keyboards is great if you have one.
- As soon as you can, put the phone in a bowl of uncooked rice. The rice absorbs the moisture (that's why they put rice in salt shakers in diners.) Leave it there for several hours, at least. (Note: white rice definitely works, if you have it - now's not the time to worry about healthier brown rice. The layer of bran may or may not make a difference - but please update this point if you have better info.)
- Remove, reinsert battery, and try turning it on.
There's a very good chance this will save your phone. If not, be sure to recycle it... and better luck next time!
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- How to Save Your Wet Cell Phone -Tiptheplanet.com
- How to Save Your Wet Cell Phone and What Not To Do -CNET.co.uk
- Save A Wet Cell Phone -Wired.com